Hydraulic Folding Car Roofs

NickW

Has anybody had to take the roof of at an RTC involving a hard top convertible. I,m interested to know how you dealt with the hydraulic lines that power the roof.

Doing some research and not really finding anything relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Haven’t done one but, I’d look to operate it normally if not massively deformed and the scenario allowed for that even if it only moves a foot you should have access to all the workings, failing that I’d dismantle as much of it as possible and try to figure out how to correctly depressurise the system. I would not be above getting someone to make a hasty google search, big agricultural cuts into the unknown would be toward the end of my list of ideas. 

Power isolation is a problem. The BMW 3 series has 8 batteries scattered around the car, 2 main car batteries and 6 smaller Ines for the roof.

Unfortunately there is not a standard system. Each manufacturer is different.

Thanks for the answers guys. Looks like nobody has really got a procedure for this at the moment. Next port of call local Mercedes garage to ask the technicians.Thanks again.

I would be surprised if they held pressure in the lines while either up or down. However as some one has already said they are all different, I look forward to hearing what you find out nick! 

• 5 months later...
On 31/08/2020 at 15:16, NickW said:

Has anybody had to take the roof of at an RTC involving a hard top convertible. I,m interested to know how you dealt with the hydraulic lines that power the roof.

Thanks in advance.

Yes indeed.

We managed to cut the hydraulic lines at the back of the roof and it just dropped and folded in a controlled way, it was in-fact very pleasant to be able to manage the roof in such a controlled manner. It was Peugeot cc

Cheers

On 31/08/2020 at 15:16, NickW said:

Thanks in advance.

No the most interesting video :)