Hazard Prediction Tests for Fire Appliance Drivers

David Crundall

[Posted with permission of the Forum Administrator]

Dear All

I am a Traffic Psychologist based at Nottingham Trent University with an interest in Emergency Response Driving. With funding from the Fire Service Research and Training Trust, my research group created and validated an emergency response 'hazard prediction test' with driving clips filmed from fire appliances on blue-light training runs. This test is similar to a 'hazard perception test' but we believe it overcomes a number of problems inherent in traditional hazard perception tests. Our first test even won the FIRE Magazine Research Excellence Award 2017, and we have published our validation study in the academic journal Accident Analysis and Prevention.

We have now created a website where all fire appliance drivers and trainers can access the tests for free. The tests have not been designed to act as a barrier to entry or continuation in a driving role, but merely as formative tools that allow self-assessment and can hopefully provide training benefit. It is our hope that these tools can supplement existing training provision within FRSs.

Three fire appliance hazard prediction tests are now available on our website (www.testmydriving.com), along with some car hazard prediction/perception tests, and even an HGV hazard test. We aim to add more free resources to this site, and welcome feedback. The only inconvenience is that you have to register to use the website, but once through this minor hurdle (a few minutes at most) you can access 'all tests' from your personal dashboard.

If you have any questions regarding the tests, or the research behind them, please leave a comment and I will do my best to answer them.

Kind Regards
Prof. David Crundall
Nottingham Trent University

• Thanks 2
  • 3 months later...