Belfast Fireman

Have a look at this remarkable film about a Belfast fireman in the height of the troubles in 1973. I use the word 'remarkable' but its doesn't describe what the guys out there were facing at that time. Perhaps 10 bombs a day - dull, almost routine like todays fire alarm shout!! (I went to 2 bombs in 32 years in London and even that is more than most)

5 mins in- Look out for the TL rescue of a lifetime, when firemen were lifted from the roof of a burning department store. I have read elsewhere that the TL operator couldn't see if they were on the ladder due to smoke and was unable to house the ladder as one guy was hanging underneath. Luck was on their side when the TL operator manage to drop them on the roof of the building opposite 

12 mins - He phones his wife from the station

Him: "How are you?"

Her: "Ok, just a little bit of shooting outside"

I get out there quite a bit and really like the place. Its nothing like it was back then, lets hope it stays that way

• Like 3
  • Kudos 1

Someone posted it on a FB Group mate and I had to share it here.

I find the modesty and understatedness (is that a word?) of the guy, his wife and colleagues quite amazing. I am not sure if it's a demonstration of bravery or just raw denial!!!

The angle I never considered was going on nights and leaving your wife and kids alone when so much hostility was happening outside. This includes terrorist sniper activity at the end of your garden and the added risks of the military taking action on your house suspecting your family are involved - just as you are having your third game of snooker or third hour of sleep.

Incredible times and perhaps times the wider UK fire service community are ignorant of 

For anyone that's interested, a programme worth watching was featured on the BBC a few months ago

It features the TL rescue as described by the TL operator himself. The Firemen in those days were something else. Huge kudos to their bravery, grit and determination. 

Edited by Carl
Link embedded as per FAQ - Good Practice
  • Like 1

That T.L. rescue was shown on TV news on the evening it happened and it brought home to all of us on the mainland just what the N.I. fire brigades were facing.

Some firefighters found it inspirational. I was an A.D.O. in charge of a station then and next morning a 20 year old firefighter came into my office and asked how to transfer to Belfast F.B. and that is what he did. I later learned he was one of many who transferred to N.I.  I admired, but never understood their driving force.

That explosion also added a new bit of jargon into the fire service - "Co-Op Mix", better known as AN-FO to the military. An effective explosive that required a cement mixer and 2 readily available materials.

I was never near the atrocities, but at the F.S.C., I met a few who faced it first hand either in N.I. or England; stoic every one of them.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I remember hosing explosives into the drains at the side of tbe road at the request of the ato, next day we were at a call and the army had sniffer dogs nearby and out stn o wouldnt let me out of the appliance as i was still covered in explosives its only now i realise how bizarre that seems and how alien it must sound to mainland firefighters.

We attended many massive bombings and can testify to the violence and brutality of those times .  

I think the series was on bbc and called on the frontline. It had a program on firefighters, one one army, police, nursing etc.

Sorry ment to say look up the series on the front line either on youtube or i player. The police  program is disturbing, these guys really held the line, the ruc really were heroes.

• Kudos 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Reading through these comments regarding the service of the firefighters of Northern Ireland. Makes me immensely proud as my father served during this period of history in Northern Ireland. The men included in the BBC documentary are the men in which my father served with. 

• Like 1
  • Kudos 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Messyshaw, just saw the video you shared. It was incredible and very inspiring. It featured that quiet British bravery that I've always found to be an inspiration, and is the kind of bravery I aim to emulate in my day to day - in both the ordinary and the extraordinary. 

• Like 1