Aerial Support Pumps

Dot

Afternoon All,

I'm on the hunt for information again..

• Which of your Brigades/FRSs mobilise a support pumping appliance with your aerials?
  • If you do what are the reason/protocols?
  • If there's anyone from GMC or Kent on here - how do you mobilise your Rescue Loader RL500?
  • Does it work?

Ta,

Dot

Humberside, yes all 3 ALP's are mobilised with support pump unless it's a special service and FDS has assessed incident as not needing support.  The exception is that the CARP can go on its own and will generally meet up with a WDS pump from home station if needed.  With it been retained crew depends on crewing too, bit of an white elephant that with its mobilising.

In Kent, all our specials are jump manned. Aerials end up splitting 2 on the TL and other 2 on the pump. So support pump of sorts, but crew of 4 total across both. 
Is the loader the bariatric cage attachment? If so, not see it in use. If needed, assistance put back with specific request for it. The crew will attach it to the TL before leaving station, takes a bit before they get mobile due to that.

Dot,

I'll wait till you visit to fully update, but yes a dedicared support pump, with larger pump capacity , for higher flow rates rates 4500llpm @10 bar.

Guess your standard pumps are less(2000) most are.

We sre going to larger pumps and larger on board water 

Did you get my other info?

• Like 1

That's just reminded me, Humberside their supporting pumps are all 1000gpm where standard are 500gpm pumps.  There are a few stations that can support the aerial as pumps have moved around with larger pumps too.

Becile and all - thanks and yes I did, quite interesting. I know this is only a small proportion of the UK we see here, but FRSs really don't attach any importance to aerials do they?

I think aerial appliances, in the eyes if FRS/FA budget holders had started to become an expensive thing to buy, maintain and crew that they thought we didn't really need....

Post Grenfell, id be surprised to hear that opinion being publicly stated, anywhere. 

Id like to see them back on the PDA for as much as possible, lets get them out and get using them.

None of our TL's are primarily crewed. 3 x WT are jump crewed when required with 2 personnel from the No2 pump  and as result of this you get this as a support pump with the other 2 personnel. The other is RDS crewed, not sure if a support pump goes with it, but doubt it.

Up until the last couple of weeks we mobilised the pump from the Station with the Aerial as the support pump with two on the aerial and two/three on the support pump. This worked perfectly because it stopped three people going back to bed and a pump coming off, the team could rotate between themselves to allow for welfare as they are there for long periods and who better to know the variables and intangibles of supplying an aerial with water that an aerial crew themselves.

I say up until a couple of weeks ago because it was such a good idea that worked well it was stopped and now three people stay back at home? 🤷🏼‍♂️

• 1 month later...
On 02/01/2020 at 15:48, Keith said:

None of our TL's are primarily crewed. 3 x WT are jump crewed when required with 2 personnel from the No2 pump  and as result of this you get this as a support pump with the other 2 personnel. The other is RDS crewed, not sure if a support pump goes with it, but doubt it.

Keith, thank you, which FRS is this please? Thanks, Dot

On 10/01/2020 at 15:48, Percy said:

Up until the last couple of weeks we mobilised the pump from the Station with the Aerial as the support pump with two on the aerial and two/three on the support pump. This worked perfectly because it stopped three people going back to bed and a pump coming off, the team could rotate between themselves to allow for welfare as they are there for long periods and who better to know the variables and intangibles of supplying an aerial with water that an aerial crew themselves.

I say up until a couple of weeks ago because it was such a good idea that worked well it was stopped and now three people stay back at home? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Percy - thanks too, may I also ask which FRS is this please? Ta, Dot

On 31/12/2019 at 22:01, Crog said:

In Kent, all our specials are jump manned. Aerials end up splitting 2 on the TL and other 2 on the pump. So support pump of sorts, but crew of 4 total across both. 
Is the loader the bariatric cage attachment? If so, not see it in use. If needed, assistance put back with specific request for it. The crew will attach it to the TL before leaving station, takes a bit before they get mobile due to that.

Crog - thanks - can I ask are all personnel trained on the TL who mobilise with it, ie: including the 'support' appliance?

Thanks,

Dot

Sorry not Crog but at a TL station in Kent. I've not been there long therefore not got any height vehicle quals yet. However I am a driver so will still find myself behind the wheel of the support pump and can supply it if need be. 

The vast majority on station are either cage op or TL commander trained however and we'll need to have one of each on which ever lorry is alternate manning the height vehicle (ours is a two pump station). In the rare event there's a skills gap on one of them then we'll do a straight swap with someone on the other lorry.

• Like 1