Kit To Get Rid Of !

CaptainFlack

Controversy here, lighthearted too !!

If there's pieces of kit that you could jettison off the pump for ever, what would that be ?  I'm sure everyone will say 'Well it's better to have it on the pump than not have it' but as we're approaching a new decade surely there's somethings that can go?? If for nothing other than more space in the lockers!  For me it's:

Guidelines - steady now !!

Foam making branches, pick up tube and all the shite that goes with it and I'm based at a foam unit special station 

Cobra high pressure lance. On every machine now in GMFRS, total white elephant.

• Like 1

Steady now, foam kit does come in handy at times, look at the 10 pumper Humberside had on Xmas Day that was vegetable oil on fire in large quantities or even Buncefield, Cobra ain't going to be no good there!!

Funny this should pop up, was on about kit coming back into trucks the other night with someone, new appliances are coming without winches, he said tirfor's will be soon back on trucks!! One bit of kit you could do without!

Hi Matt,

Yes the big foam stuff certainly plays it's part but I'm talking the stuff that's on the pumps. Buncefield and the like wasn't put out with a lengths of 70mm, an aerator and a big yellow tube! 

You mention Cobra Matt, that's probably what most people would say on ours.

It's actually been defective since July on our Romeo 3 so just fills up locker space. Almost everyone I ask can only remember once when it was used in nearly a decade. The 135 has seen more action. 

It's certainly a capable bit of kit but the conditions for it's use are very specific. I wonder if it really is cost effective when fog spike get used so routinely with much less cost, complexity and safety parameters to consider.

Ahh, I remember being told guidelines were a waste of time, until in 1999 I ended up following one on a real job, very scary.

In terms of Cobra, it does have its place, but I think we have had a few too many restrictions put in place which limits people using it, along with limited training. I have used it with good effect several times. I would also get used to it in GMFRS as every single pump has it on and its coming on all the new appliances.

3 hours ago, Carl said:

Ahh, I remember being told guidelines were a waste of time, until in 1999 I ended up following one on a real job, very scary.

Sods law the day a service gets rid of them they’ll be needed on a job

We have Cobra on our pump. During the summer months, we use it extensively on standing corn. Exceptional knock down rate and cuts it to prevent reigniting. Saved fair few fields and been on make ups where we’ve jumped off with and knocked down large areas crews were struggling with by using conventional methods. 

On 30/12/2019 at 22:30, CaptainFlack said:

If there's pieces of kit that you could jettison off the pump for ever, what would that be ? 

The Guvnor in the front seat?? :)

At least there could be some proper rapid decisions made by the guys in the back

• Haha 3

What about the simple use of foam concentrate into a bucket, aerate by simple mixing and then poured onto that problematic bit of fuel at the car fire in the middle of nowhere 🤷🏻‍♂️

The majority of our kit is limited by our imagination. Old skills are unfortunately dying because we in the modern world want a bespoke piece of equipment to do each job for us. 

Firemanship or firecraft, however you term it, goes a real long way also.

On 31/12/2019 at 09:42, Carl said:

In terms of Cobra, it does have its place, but I think we have had a few too many restrictions put in place which limits people using it, along with limited training. I have used it with good effect several times. I would also get used to it in GMFRS as every single pump has it on and its coming on all the new appliances.

Using the Lance isn’t exciting though. This is something that limits it’s use because people want to go in and fight the fire. People haven’t embraced how it improves conditions which is where it’s strengths lie. But like you said the introduction didn’t get the time and support it needed. 

(I am fully aware that we all joined to burst through doors and fight fires)

• Like 1

As mentioned many many time’s now I would collect them from all the pumps, stack them in a pile then put all Guidelines through a wood chipper.

They are obsolete, have been for many years and this generations Hook Ladders.

• Kudos 1