Supplying Water to Aerials

Dot

All,

Given we all do the same job, I think it's safe to say we often achieve the outcomes in different ways. So with that, how do you supply your aerials, and what do they output?

In London, the default is a pressure fed supply into a pumping appliance tank, then a twin 70mm supply to the aerial base, ideally one length in distance. On our ALPs in particular which are proven to 2425 litres per minute, this can mean a most annoying intermittent supply if the hydrant is poor, which is common, hence these questions.

I want to look at different options, going through eye of the pump and so on, up to and including HVP supply.

If anyone has any data on this I'd be most keen to see it. 

Thanks,

Dot

Dot, weve just changed our ariel monitor to a variable 500, 1000, 1500, lpm after having so many issues of maintaining an adequate supply in terms of pressure and flow, from our higher rated one. we've kept the old higher rated monitor should it be required at larger incidents where larger flows are required(mechanic swap over ) , initial feedback very good, yr quite welcome to come and have a look as we're just down the road from you, and yes weve used the hvp into back of pump, even directly off a hydrant, via a controllable dividing breach.

In the past we'd twin like you, not required any more!

• Thanks 1

Kent is supplied from a pump, which as far as I’m aware can be supplied by another pump or hydrant. Each aerial also has 2 lengths of 90mm, both of which are 30m in length. All pumps have 2 lengths of standard length 90mm too, for use from hydrant to pump or pump to riser for high rise supply.

• Thanks 1

HVP is capable of pumping around 7000 litres a minute if you have the water supply, but it works in flow rather than pressure. Pressure wise it only works out at around 4 bar so you’d obviously want a pumping appliance to relay to the aerial.