Knots and Rope

Wald81

Afternoon folks.

Apologies if this is In the wrong forum, chuck me in the correct one if necessary please admin.

I’m eager to learn more knots, I regularly use the bowline and prusik in my current employment and see no harm in learning some more. 

Does anyone have a link to a good site/pdf to learn them? Specifically FF role related ones. I’m also after a length of rope to practice with. I have read online that trainees, who are on their 12 week initial training, take home the length of rope they’re supplied with to practice. Thats what I’m looking for! Is it available to purchase?

Thanks in advance for any help.

There are a couple of topics about knots and I am sure many of them mention a list of ones to learn. 

I think the best resources to learn knots are YouTube and I have also seen an App which demonstrates, complete with video on how to tie them all. 

HTH

• Like 1

Thank you Carl, appreciate the reply. It definitely helps. I’m haunting this forum recently, reading and rereading everything. Was looking for a definitive ‘you will be taught these knots’ kind of training manual/pdf link, specifically FF related. YT is very good educationally but I’ve found a lot of the better stuff is from the states.

(Side note: your twitter account is excellent 👍🏻)

@Wald81 Knots 3D is the app you want. Definitely available for iPhone. It’s a few quid I think but fantastic. Also you can buy a length of rope from a climbing type online shop. Select your length and away you go. I think Go-outdoors might operate an in store service too.

• Like 2
  • Kudos 1

Fire service knots are:

Overhand, figure-8 (normal and on the bight), bowline, running bowline, rolling hitch to left and right, clove hitch, round turn and two half hitches, fisherman’s knot and there’s one more where you go through a loop and then round turn twice but can’t think of the name haha.

I used an old skipping rope to practice knots when the one I was given to practice with fell apart.

Apparently this knot app is good and free at the moment,  don't know how to link it but it's called knots 3D, it's usually £3.99.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help and suggestions above. I got the Knots 3D app (free) and a 1m long, 10mm piece of rope from ebay (£1.68 with free next day delivery!) 

Have all the knots mentioned above well practiced, won’t be adequate until I actually put them to use but knowledge is power! 

Any other suggestions on practical practice welcome.

4DFDDFC2-6376-49DA-8B50-89DF2D9D085D.jpeg

On 21/12/2019 at 20:07, Andy1 said:

@Wald81 Knots 3D is the app you want. Definitely available for iPhone. It’s a few quid I think but fantastic. Also you can buy a length of rope from a climbing type online shop. Select your length and away you go. I think Go-outdoors might operate an in store service too.

A ship's chandler is probably a better bet, as outdoor shops tend to only have climbing ropes which are rather different.

A very reliable chandler who does mail order is: Jimmy Green

They do an excellent mail order service and are very helpful.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...