Mnemonics in Use

Carl

We all know this job is full of mnemonics and we also know the most common ones used everyday such as RTC etc. 

Question is, do you have any you use on a regular basis to help you remember things? One we use regular, or at least one that we are taught to use regular is SHOPRIM. Im sure many have heard it before as it has been taught at the college in the past. Its basically a nice easy way to either handover to a senior officer or as a senior officer coming onto the job, to ask.

S - Whats the situation
H - What are the hazards
O
- Whats the objective
- Whats the plan
R - What resources do you have or need
I - What incident command structure is in place
M - What tactical mode are you in

Do you have any other unusual ones that may be of use to us all. If so please feel free to add them here and provide a full explanation. ;)

3 hours ago, Becile said:

I feel duty bound as the tactical lead for JESIP in our service to mention M/ETHANE and IIMARCH, explanation here ¬¬

Think we've all had the METHANE one pushed home, perhaps not so much the IIMARCH. 

27 minutes ago, HB12 said:

LIHB

Not heard that one before. I can only presume in what context it could be used, although not sure. ?

LACES

Lookouts, Awareness, Communications, Escape Routes, Safety Zones,

Used in wildfire extensively but can also be adapted/adopted for many other incident types..hazmat for example.

Life - any casualties, if so how many, last know location etc. 

Incident - what type incident, scale etc.

Hazards - as its states 

Building - size of building, type of construction, use, any other info; can occupants draw a plan or are there any plans in Risk assessments.

also 

theres E now, Environment!! 

Its ment to keep things very simple in doing initially information gathering and setting up your plan! 

Since about 1997 we've used the Decision making model in LFB, which after 20 years seems to have stood the test of time. It isn't so much a mnemonic as a diagram. JESIP has forced us all to pay some regard to the whole METHANE IIMARCH thing, but twice today, one a 12pf on an industrial estate and a few hours later at a protest at a prison we went through it pretty much as a courtesy. At the prison job the wizened Police Chief Inspector was as 'rolly eyed' as me, but we visited it, recorded it and then went about proper business. I still have to look them both up to be certain I've got it all.

DRA.JPG

METHANE has long been used by the Ambulance service in London, but we have all been so comfortable with the London specific LESLIP procedures for so long (London Emergency Services Liaison Panel), a multi agency partnership who sent out an updated major incident manual eveyr year, JESIP seemed a bit 'jump on the bandwagon' to us as we've been doing this since 1973.

When I was doing all of my J/O stuff in the early 90's we had PAPRICE (prepare, assess, plan, resources, implement, control & evaluate) for decision making and DAMPSOW (description, actions, messages, position of jets, safety, other info & water supplies) for the handover.

LFB is full of bloody mnemonics.... I'd be here all night.

But of course, the most famous and I believe only used in LFB, we even have yellow tape with it on for broken things, is OTR (Off the Run) which dates back to horse drawn appliances where the horses were attached to the appliances in the bay and the bit they turned out from was known as 'The run'. Any horse unable to work was deemed off the run,. now anything from broken fire engines, chairs, printers, equipment and even Firefighters on light duty are 'OTR'

I use BUDAPEST for informative messages... 

• Building Use (a residential high rise of 6 floors) 
  • Dimensions (30 x 40 metres) 
  • Amount of fire (20% of 5 roomed flat on fourth floor alight) 
  • Persons rescued/unaccounted for (all persons accounted for) 
  • Equipment in use (BA, TIC, 2 jets, MDT) 
  • Safe system of work employed (High Rise procedure implemented) 
  • Tactical Mode
  • Kudos 1
On 27/05/2017 at 22:15, Steve said:

But of course, the most famous and I believe only used in LFB, we even have yellow tape with it on for broken things, is OTR (Off the Run) which dates back to horse drawn appliances where the horses were attached to the appliances in the bay and the bit they turned out from was known as 'The run'. Any horse unable to work was deemed off the run,. now anything from broken fire engines, chairs, printers, equipment and even Firefighters on light duty are 'OTR'

OTR is used extensively in SFRS (West, anyway). Most often used to describe our ARPs ?? ..........