It's Time to be Honest with Myself

ItsNathanHere

Hi all,

This isn't an easy post to make. I've had weeks of sleepless nights, battling myself, convincing myself I'm the same as everyone else - but I've finally come to terms with reality. I know my colleagues on station won't think of me the same after this all comes to light, but this is the 21st century and people like me don't need to hide anymore. I wasn't sure whether I'd even return to these forums after discovering this about myself, but you've all known me for years and it's only fair I provide an explanation, so here goes...

...London's Burning isn't that bad of a programme!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Totally agree. I watched it religiously every Sunday in the late 80s and 90s and it inspired me to join the service. 

In some respects I wish the service was as it was in those days, I really do.

• Like 1

London's Burning isn't that bad of a programme!

It certainly is after season 12 onwards 

After John Hallam & Nick died, the show died IMHO !! Script writing was piss poor and a lot of computer generated scenes crept in.

(NB: Season 12 + was still superior to Steel River Blues)

The last couple of series went down the pan, I suspect there are many that joined the job at the time due to London's Burning and I would be very surprised if anyone of that era hasn't seen it.

Still some of the best TV these days when on repeats, beats most stuff on the box now.  Was Sunday night viewing for years.

This post brought back some great childhood memories for me. I used to watch it for years from about series 4, I’m guessing around 1991. I was only 4/5 at the time and my late Dad used to record it for me on VHS as it was then and then rewatch it and record over any bits with swearing in before allowing me to watch it. I used to absolutely love it! 

9 hours ago, Luminoki said:

I did like Londons Burning but this on a friday night played more a part of myself becoming a firefighter ( im sure the older members will remember )

The music intro used to give me nightmares as a kid, used to be some pretty graphic stuff on there if I remember rightly.  Was good watching though.

11 hours ago, Luminoki said:

I did like Londons Burning but this on a friday night played more a part of myself becoming a firefighter ( im sure the older members will remember )

Ive appeared on there twice 😂

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Lumie said:

I might get the set of DVDs and start watching it on my days off. I’ve heard about it quite a bit, being posted at one of the stations on it😉

Go on uktv play mate... All on there. Not that I've watched them all...

16 hours ago, Luminoki said:

I couldn’t get enough that show as a kid. I think it’s definitely played some part in me joining the job. 

4 hours ago, Carl said:

Ive appeared on there twice 😂

This is brilliant 😂 probably watched you on tv when I was about 6 🤣

• Like 1

Me too, stayed up late cos it was a Friday night, 8:30 just after The Bill. I did recognise my mates now Crew Commander on that fire school series and the training Sub is still talked about by older hands to this day.

The days of being driven around Quinton trying to get dressed and donning a set whilst the Sub screams at you are long gone however

I concur that the later seasons of London's Burning are worth giving a miss - those last couple of seasons were pure soap opera! 

On 11/12/2019 at 08:09, Luminoki said:

That's a new one for me. It's really interesting seeing the instructors discussing the drills between themselves. I've often wondered how those conversations go! 😂 I remember when I was waiting to join the job I watched an 80s documentary called shouts, following a watch at Brixton - anyone seen it? 

I recall the original Jack Rosenthal pilot and really liked it. OK it was a bit cheesy , but he was a brilliant writer and his research was spot on. I must have worked with every one of that watch over my time!

I was once on a watch of 'Vaseline's'. No woman with (or without) a pulse was safe and I did chuckle a few times to see him get into a few scrapes. 

Sadly as the series dragged on, the characters became weaker to the point of being unbelievable and the story lines were lazy and poorly written compared to the pilot. Then the incidents! Again, they just got more and more stupid. I didn't even watch any of the last few episodes.

I was always more of a Trumpton fan and this lunchtime show as a kid was far more influential (I wonder if Barney McGrew is related to Jeremy Corbyn?)

• Haha 1

Ive just had a look to see what series I got up to and if there was any reason why I stopped watching it, other than I felt the same way as many on here. It appears I stopped watching after Series 9 which ironically and I had not realised up until now, I had joined as was now doing the job. 😐

When Steel River Blues was announced I snapped up the domain name. I sold that on to a Brass Band up in Northumberland, so you can guess what I thought of that show. 

There were also a couple that followed Manchester about (Inferno 999) which I have the videos of, not sure I could upload them though? There were also another couple of fly on the wall programmes done following the Old Swan in Merseyside.

I found the 3 part on London fire brigade quite good a few years back. Very good prioir to joining.

18 hours ago, Luminoki said:

Me too, stayed up late cos it was a Friday night, 8:30 just after The Bill. I did recognise my mates now Crew Commander on that fire school series and the training Sub is still talked about by older hands to this day.

The days of being driven around Quinton trying to get dressed and donning a set whilst the Sub screams at you are long gone however

I remember watching that last year during training and seeing one of my dad's firefighters as a wmfs recruit who used to look after me!

21 hours ago, Carl said:

.There were also another couple of fly on the wall programmes done following the Old Swan in Merseyside.

I remember that one and have it on VHS somewhere.... the other station was Low Hill.