Arrested While in The Service

Ted

Hi all

I was caught drink driving, I was slightly over, no excuse for it,  but I now have a year driving ban. No truck driving for me! 

Can anyone shed any light on what disciplinary action the fire service could now enforce? Google hasn’t helped me. 

No more grief please. Had enough of that from the family! 

Or if anyone else had a arrest , feel free to message me. Anything will stay confidential. 

Obviously we have no idea which service you are from, so can't really comment as you may well have more details within your own services policy. 

In GMFRS I have known only two people who have been convicted of drink driving. One was sacked as he failed to inform the service. There was more to it than that though. 

The second was obviously taken off driving duties and created a whole world of issues for himself as he could not travel to other stations, had to go everywhere on foot or by cycling. Im sure he must have also been given some sort of discipline, but I have no idea on what charge, so I am just guessing really. I can't see the service not doing something about it, at least a warning, however, I would advise that you just be truthful throughout, which I am sure you already have? 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that we wouldnt discipline anyone internally given this specific example you have had your "punishment " through the legal system. I'm sure it would go down on your personal record (but we are in distinct HR territory now !!)in But we would require notification of any offence, otherwise then you are in discipline territory. Other offences I know have been looked at differently and suspended etc pending investigation/ sentence. (bringing brigade into disrepute)

• Like 1

If I can remember correctly, if someone receives a judicial punishment, isn't specific grounds for further punishment by the brigade. But also, it seems to be pretty open ended and senior management can decide off of the circumstances whether to continue internal procedures. As mentioned, bringing the brigade into disrepute would be one. Something like commiting a crime whilst wearing uniform or something?

Like Becile said, I expect if you didn't declare it and they found out later, there'd be a lot more trouble. I've heard of firefighters who've been banged up and still managed to keep their job after a month in custody.

• Like 1

Looks like different Services have different policies on this, but the common thing is if you haven't told them it will be treated more severely.

Going back to the original poster's question regarding drink driving, most Services will be promoting road safety, so I would suspect there will be some sanction. This could depend on your role, for example if you are on a watch as long as you can get to work when required, you could probably argue you aren't required to drive and get a lesser sanction than if you are a flexi officer, where you obviously need to drive. If you can't, it may be regarded as a breech of contract and warrant a dismissal.

• Like 1

All depends on local policy in place.

I know someone who was done for dangerous driving and Brigade did them for bringing them into disrepute as named on social media, appealed the dismissal which they were served and got back in but cannot drive for how ever long (due to police ban) and was moved stations so has to rely on someone taken them to work.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Keith said:

Looks like different Services have different policies on this, but the common thing is if you haven't told them it will be treated more severely.

Going back to the original poster's question regarding drink driving, most Services will be promoting road safety, so I would suspect there will be some sanction. This could depend on your role, for example if you are on a watch as long as you can get to work when required, you could probably argue you aren't required to drive and get a lesser sanction than if you are a flexi officer, where you obviously need to drive. If you can't, it may be regarded as a breech of contract and warrant a dismissal.

Exactly this. I need to drive or I can’t get to the station in time. So I won’t be able to be on call. 
Currently getting the bus to my day job and it’s not within walking distance to the station. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 27/10/2019 at 09:41, Becile said:

I'm pretty sure that we wouldnt discipline anyone internally given this specific example you have had your "punishment " through the legal system. I'm sure it would go down on your personal record (but we are in distinct HR territory now !!)in But we would require notification of any offence, otherwise then you are in discipline territory. Other offences I know have been looked at differently and suspended etc pending investigation/ sentence. (bringing brigade into disrepute)

Ian you definitely do for DD - it’s at the very least a NFF due to committing a criminal offence.

I had two of these to deal with.

• 3 months later...
On 11/01/2020 at 20:04, Percy said:

Ian you definitely do for DD - it’s at the very least a NFF due to committing a criminal offence.

I had two of these to deal with.

What's an NFF ?