Finally Finished LFB Training

Adsoc89

Finally I have completed the 11 weeks training for the LFB!

Thanks everyone who’s given me some advice and for those who have previously posted very useful information! 

• Like 1
  • Kudos 1

Well done pal!

Cakes is a massive one, offer to make them tea, ask as many questions as you can think of because there’s a whole lot you don’t know! Always grab something when you get off the truck, even to an afa.

Any questions you wanna ask us too, fire away and we’ll try help

Bit of an operational culture in LFB Noddy that whatever the incident is (with exception to very small incidents such as bin fires) that you don’t get off the truck without a piece of equipment. One of the big differences I noticed when transferring up.

Usual suspects are long line, ECB, breaking in gear and trauma bag. Obviously depends on the incident though. 

Well done mate 👍

Didn't know that was a widespread London-ism. Now the spreaders at the door of a past house fire makes sense. 

I always grab a TIC at an AFA.

Yep i guess in London it’s different by the sounds of it.  At high rises yes i agree that certain gear goes in but taking stuff off for virtually everything else is a new one on me.... you live and learn 👍

On 08/08/2019 at 16:05, Noddy said:

Such as? 

I’m with you on this and I’m NE posted in LFB and I’ve only been in six months. Thankfully the older hands on my station don’t do this “grab anything” approach, mainly because they’ve seen people take long lines into a bungalow... 

I’d suggest just get used to the flow of station life. Get used to what you need to ask and do en route to jobs etc.

congrats mate and good luck with it all 👍

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:00, Out in the past said:

I’m with you on this and I’m NE posted in LFB and I’ve only been in six months. Thankfully the older hands on my station don’t do this “grab anything” approach, mainly because they’ve seen people take long lines into a bungalow... 

Bungalow? In London? 

Obviously a fake post ;) 

• Haha 1

@LFB92 there is the standard stuff for certain calls eg keys and hydrant bar for shut in lifts, crank handle and a bit of plastic for locked out etc. but for an afa my lot have never done the whole ‘grab anything’ approach. I guess their thinking could be you rock up and it is either going like a b*****d or not. Interesting to see different approaches though, I know our B/W always have a long line and a sledgehammer in the back every time I come to do inventories on handover 😂 

Any how, we digress and Carl will give us a whack round the earhole 😂 

Congrats again @Adsoc89 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Out in the past said:

Any how, we digress and Carl will give us a whack round the earhole

Which is why I moved it from Success to Training. ;) 

• Like 1

Use some common sense, but the basics to grab are:

TIC, toolbox, extinguisher, long line, breaking in gear, IEC pack, lift keys.

You can’t really go wrong if you pick one of them up, depending on the call of course. 

I just don’t get the ‚grab anything mentality??? Of course lift keys to a lift job, a line if going up floors etc.... but just randomly grabbing something hardly shows initiative??? 

• Like 2

I think its been lost in translation a little... Grab something worth having as it relates to the incident being attended. Nobody would advocate grabbing an extinguisher at a shut in lift 🙈

Wasn’t it a certain pioneer of the modern fire service that wrote...

“His whole success depends on his getting in and remaining there, and he must always carry his appliances with him, as without them he is of no use.”

Good enough for me.