2% Pay offer 2019

TrainHardFightEasy

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the latest pay offer?

An interesting fact is our pay has increased by 48% since 2001. Inflation has risen by 38%. However, house prices nationally by 55%. 

Not sure where the numbers come from there mate, but according to fbu pay scales since 2001 pay has gone up a little under 42% and this is money.co.uk says inflation is up 65.59%

Which is still by the by when the rest of the public sector have been offered 2.9

6 hours ago, Mess6311 said:

Which is still by the by when the rest of the public sector have been offered 2.9

Er, not true!

Many public service workers will not get anywhere near that (nearer 1%), and even those with the 'bigger' rises may struggles as health authorities, local authorities and govt dept have to find the cash out of existing budgets 

Double checked, apologies you are correct pay has gone up 42%. In terms of inflation I keep getting different figures from various web sources.

Public sector professions are ring-fenced into different groups. So when one group are getting whatever% it doesn’t mean the same for the rest. Don’t ask me why it works that way though but it does.

MP’s however seem to be in their own fence where they are obligated to accept whatever the parliamentary pay offer is, of course. 

• Kudos 1
8 hours ago, Jet said:

MP’s however seem to be in their own fence where they are obligated to accept whatever the parliamentary pay offer is, of course. 

Just like FFs were when the pay formula was in place. Awarded to end the 1977/8 FBU national strike, it linked FFs wages (& pay rises) to the 'upper quartile of manual workers'.

No more pay disputes or annual pay bargaining, it was worth its weight in gold. Nurses had a similar system so Mrs Messy and I could relax.

But both agreements went when employers released they could do it cheaper by fragmenting negotiations and going backwards to the annual arguments. - that is except MPs who have kept theirs (& enhanced it). One rule for some......

• Kudos 2

Wow, I wish I could answer that, but i wouldn't have a clue how to determine that figure

Plus this socio economic group - upper quartile of manual workers - may not exist in 21st fiscal statistics and in any case, with the demise of British industry over 4 decades, is almost certainly much smaller than it was. So would such a comparison be valid in 2019

One thing is certain, linking 999 and other essential workers pay to groups of comparable workers does work by defusing annual pay talks and all the grief that comes with that

But if this were offered, any Govt now would want something in return. Maybe no strike legislation- sod that!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a whisper of my pay rise (I am also a public employee): It's a massive 1%

So don't you let me hear anyone grumble about 2% any more :)

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It will be interesting to see what the 2020 pay rise will bring, if any? Im not hopeful at all. 

(If anyone has noticed a lot of posts from me in the past 24hrs, its because I am on leave 🤪 )

• Haha 3
On 06/09/2019 at 22:28, Desserts said:

It's crazy that the serving FF yet gain are getting a bellow inflation pay rise that is also less than retired FF are getting.

10 to 12 years now!

Move along, nothing new here.

I was promoted to ADO in March 1975 and a public service pay freeze was imposed the same week.  My promotion was to replace a retiring ADO and his new pension was indexed linked to the inflation rate and he received a very reasonable 26.4% pension increase. It was much the same during the the following years. My 84 hour week never paid as much as his pension.