World Trade Center

HoldFast

I have just seen that the FDNY has just lost its 200th member to World Trade Center illness, bringing the total firefighter death toll to 543. I find this such an incomprehensible number and felt it was important for everyone to take a moment to consider.

That number doesn’t include firefighters from other states, other first responders and members of the public.

I wasn’t sure which section to create the topic under but felt it deserved a mention.

A quote from the FDNY Facebook reads:

”FDNY Firefighter Richard Driscoll is the 200th FDNY member to die of World Trade Center illness. Firefighter Driscoll retired from Engine 91 in East Harlem in 2002, after serving the Department for 32 years. He bravely responded to the attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, and worked tirelessly in the rescue and recovery efforts that followed. Firefighter Driscoll served our country during the Vietnam War, and was cited for bravery five times during his FDNY career.  FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro says, “It is almost incomprehensible that after losing 343 members on September 11, we have now had 200 more FDNY members die due to World Trade Center illness. These heroes gave their lives bravely fighting to rescue and recover others. We will never forget them.”

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this.

It’s still so shocking and so sad to hear  that people are still suffering and losing their lives because of that terrible tragedy.... RIP