WFRS New HP

Listen to you lot! .....

• "not a pretty truck"
  • "like someone's ugly cousin"
  • "ugly looking truck"

Its as if you are commenting on the latest FHM cover in the 90s :)

Its a fire engine!

• Haha 3
  • Kudos 1

If i thought that way messy, Carls pic wouldve got a “phwoar” 😉

@MHaldron I presume that Leamingtons CARP will no longer be used, so does that mean they will get back a second pump?

• Haha 1

Same "model" of TL as Northern Ireland @Carl.

The Warwickshire one is another from the Magirus range with the same technology and rear bodywork but on a low chassis. LFB have them on a Mercedes Econic chassis, that looks like an Iveco, which has had £2.50 spent on the conversation.😆

2 hours ago, Luminoki said:

If i thought that way messy, Carls pic wouldve got a “phwoar” 😉

@MHaldron I presume that Leamingtons CARP will no longer be used, so does that mean they will get back a second pump?

Leamington still have 2 machines, 1 self rostering and 1 DCP! Plus they have the CARP and the EPU!! 

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Same "model" of TL as Northern Ireland @Carl.

The Warwickshire one is another from the Magirus range with the same technology and rear bodywork but on a low chassis. LFB have them on a Mercedes Econic chassis, that looks like an Iveco, which has had £2.50 spent on the conversation.😆

Was the £2.50 the purchase of the playmobil truck they used?? 

10 hours ago, Messyshaw said:

Listen to you lot! .....

• "not a pretty truck"
  • "like someone's ugly cousin"
  • "ugly looking truck"

Its as if you are commenting on the latest FHM cover in the 90s :)

Its a fire engine!

It's all we've got, the anoraks and duffelbags also help.

• Haha 1

The Warwickshire one is ugly and been an Iveco I can see it having issues where as the Manchester ones are far more fit for purpose vehicle.

They have the 32m ladder same as this Manchester one, Carl's picture shows the 42m as seen here.

• 5 months later...

As others have said on here, why do looks affect the way it works? The low height chassis is something Magirus through their time when directly owned by Iveco have designed and developed. These variants are in use extensively in Germany. How anyone can comment on it being 'fit for purpose' is beyond me in this instance. I've seen and used this appliance and also had an insight into WFRS's procurement approach and they should be applauded for selecting this model. 

The lowest possible ride height and all wheel steering set this appliance apart from any other TL in the UK at this time, and given what it's replacing how could anyone criticise them for this? 

GMC should also be pleased with their appliances too, having been so far behind the UK fire market with their allegiance to the Simon HPs for too long... why did they choose Volvo? because they've historically always used them and are happy with that? That's fine too!

LFB are about to unveil the first of their new TLs, and I guarantee there will be comments about its looks. 

People who know these appliances will know it doesn't matter what they look like, they fulfil their brief in being a fire service designed piece of equipment designed for fire service use, and they do it better than any other aerial type. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just out of interest Dot and I understand if you can't answer this. But looking at a residential accommodation block I have been working on we have the standard fire service turning circle and width requirements for access, with some brigades now getting bigger ALP's and TL's do they still fit those requirements in the building regs for width, length etc. or is this another oversite of reality and red tape not crossing over?  

Currently in the building regs for a Height vehicle we have to allow 3.7m width between kerbs for approach roads , 3.1m widths for gates and a turning circle of 26m between kerbs or 29m between walls, 4m headroom and a designed loading of 17 tonnes for hard standings. (Part B2 Building regs (2019 edition)  Page 117, Table 15.2) (though normally you allow for 18 tonnes for refuse vehicles) 

I ask this as for the Special equipment units for Notts. for the new Fire station in Newark was bigger than the standard dimensions, we had to obtain drawings from the manufacturer and details to check the yard and bays worked early on in the design stage.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

With the new Warwickshire one being an Iveco chassis, not sure how reliable it would be, as i currently work a truck mechanic, and Iveco is code work for engine failure. That being said theyve got them all over Europe and seem happy with them. 

Cant be any worse than the Shelvoke one they had years ago when my dad was in the brigade. They blew the engine on that, got loaned and crew cab HP, oddly from LFB and then that blew up a week later after it went back 😆😆

On 03/03/2020 at 22:30, S.Searston said:

Cant be any worse than the Shelvoke one they had years ago when my dad was in the brigade. They blew the engine on that, got loaned and crew cab HP, oddly from LFB and then that blew up a week later after it went back 😆😆

The biggest problem with Shelvokes that we had (other than the windscreen misting up badly when raining) was the bloody cabs kept falling off - or at least snapping their mountings. 

We came back from a shout and luckily left the appliance in the yard as it was dirty. As we went for a cuppa someone said it looks as if its leaning at a jaunty angle. But we all decided it was the camber of the yard and in any case, a cheese and onion sandwich literally had my chinagraphed name on it so I ignored it

15 mins later someone put the bells down. The cab had dropped and pulled the wiring loom, chaffing the insulation so u it went.  We responded to find smoke issuing from the crew cab. A couple of squirts with a BCF and it was all over. But it wasn't the only wobbly cab

I quite liked them as they handled really well - perhaps the best we had until the Volvos in London

Did you not have Dennis's Messy, handled much better than anything else, as recently demonstrated on the Top Gear track. Sadly no more though.🙁

• Like 1

We did several models. The 106, 108 and some big square cab thing that others will.be able to tell you what model it was.

They were all fine appliances to use and drive, but for me the Volvo beats them all

Havent been watching Top Gear so much lately. Did they compare fire appliances??🤔

The very last of the Volvo's (97-98, God that is a long time ago now) were great to drive, but I really preferred the SS131 Dennis'  The big square cab thing) as the Driver's Fire Engine. The Shelvokes were OK, but were  very noisy. The Shelvoke HP"s which I drove quite a bit always felt so heavy... that is my overiding memory of them.

On 30/06/2019 at 01:19, Carl said:

Looks a little different to our new TLs

Manchester TL.png

You sir are not coming from a position of strength... Greater Manchester.... among the best Firefighters in the UK, with the ugliest Fire Engines. 🤣🤣

index.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Steve said:

Greater Manchester.... among the best Firefighters in the UK, with the ugliest Fire Engines.

Are you sure you have got that the right way round @Steve? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1