Motorway Fire

Messyshaw

Motorway fire a couple of months ago on the M1 in West Yorks(?)

Those commenting on this video were not mighty impressed with how it was handled. 

What are your views??

I watched it to 2.50 couldn't watch any more! approach,.positioning, crew safety, public safety, environmental risk, damage to motorway I could go on. Some retraining required me thinks. Might use this as what not to do.

Wet stuff on the hot stuff! 

• Like 2

Other than the fending off at the front (???) Theres got to be something going on here we don't know about. Pump failure on the first pump maybe? there seems to be a hosereel out unused,  the guy runs out a what looks like a 45 and the 2nd pump moves forward into that sketchy position, would be the only reason I could think of. It's nearly seven minutes in before they seem to get any media on it by that time the involved fire loading on that thing would laugh at a couple of jets. Not to mention the running fuel.

Wouldn't another pump and or a Bulk Water Carrier be on the PDA for that sort of incident?

Initial thoughts can be summed up in three letters - WTF!  But as OT says, there has to be more to the huge delay in getting water on than meets the eye surely?  That still doesn’t deal with the issues of approach, positioning, safety etc though as they still exist whether the pump has failed or not.

Given that firefighters coppers and highway officer have all been killed on motorways, why 4-5 mins is traffic still flowing and passing, is not most of the motorway network covered by HWA control

I am retired, so hate to be an armchair critic, but this does look like it is either gross incompetence or as Oscar Tango says, something is going here on that is not obvious in the video (or a bit of both).  

On 12/05/2019 at 12:49, OscarTango said:

Wouldn't another pump and or a Bulk Water Carrier be on the PDA for that sort of incident?

Funny you should mention that, for the M42 Warks regularly send their water carrier to this kind of job .... it usually gets there before the pumps though 💁🏽‍♂️ 

The water carrier from Evesham often gets mobilised to the motorway on my stations ground, a 24 mile trip and due to the amount of water can only go at road speed

Ok the fend off or lack of is bizarre but regarding the fighting of the fire, would that decision be down to the fact that the other carriage way was still open, the load on the truck seemed to be similar to pallets and was there a fear that they maybe dislodged by firefighting efforts onto the other carriage way causing a danger to vehicles that were already driving through thick black smoke. Sketchy I know but if they couldn't sort out fend off maybe the thought process was skewed or not.

I must admit I am not a fan of being an armchair critic, so Im not going to say much on this as I think there is probably I hope more to it. This was one of the reasons I came off the Fire Brigade Memories group on Facebook. They would throw people under the bus at every opportunity, despite the fact a good few of them weren't that competent themselves when they were in service. 

Anyway, several comments here would be replicated if this was GMFRS as for one, we don't do fend off and secondly we don't have any water bowsers. 😯

Yes. Don't want to ruin this thread. There are several within this forum already discussing Fend Off. I'm on my phone so difficult to link to directly but a quick search will bring it up. ;)