Personal Issue Lamps

Just a quick question for some research on behalf of something I’ve become involved in so would appreciate as many replies as possible!

Does your brigade personally issue some sort of lamp/torch to every firefighter? 

Can you please state which brigade this is and also if you happen to know of other brigades stance in this matter (former ff or retained in another brigade for example). The model or a picture of your lamp would also be helpful. 

Thanks all. 

Only helmet torches that come with the rosenbauers in Surrey and Kent. Nothing else issued, lots carry self bought LED torches.

• Kudos 1

Peli torches in West Mids to attach to the gallets. Moving to Rosenbauers like LFB in the summer. Bought my own Cree torch as its easier to have one in your hand at certain times, would love a personal issue one like LFB, along with a radio

Lamps1.thumb.jpeg.6886671766b00922b54fc9e4965bda52.jpeg

Same personal issue peli torch for the Gallet helmet, as in Luminoki's picture, for us in Northern Ireland. New issue helmets are the latest Gallet F1XF with built in torches on either side and as these have a narrow light pattern, we are re-issuing the right angle Wolf torch, in Lumie's picture, to be carried on the pumps.

• Kudos 1

Sorry to bump this topic. Still hoping for some more replies from other services. Again I’m looking for whether your service does or does not personally issue a light to operational personnel. I have so far LFB, Kent, Surrey, West Mids and N Ireland. 

Thanks again. 

H&W have Gallet helmets with inbuilt LED lights either side ( similar in Shropshire ) When a few FFs went on secondment to Warks they were issued helmet torches. On their return they were told that they were not to be used due to not being intrinsicaly safe

• Kudos 1

Gloucestershire FRS has Peli torches attached to our Gallet helmets the same as west mids. A new version of the torch has started to be rolled out with new members to my station. 

• Kudos 1

No personal issue torch in hampshire except for the one built into our new gallets, these are pretty good to be honest but agree with the sentiment of a handheld backup. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is the equipment meant to meet ADR requirements i.e being intrinsically safe? 

I'm a tanker driver and my torch has a ATEX approval rating. Think it releases hydrogen from the batteries so it doesn't cause a spark. 

• 1 year later...

Thought I would bring this topic back to the fore. As sad as it sounds, I have always ensured that I have had a good torch with me from being a firefighter to station manager, despite service issue, I always wanted a bright rechargeable bright light. In fact I have had several over the years and have usually opted for the LED Lensers which I thought were really good. 

However in recent months I have purchased several OLights and I have to say, they are the best torches I have ever purchased. They are built like tanks, rechargeable and in terms of illumination, they are simply awesome, they really are, Ive never seen anything so powerful. In terms of price, they are like anything else, you get what you pay for, but comparing them to Lenser, I have to say these win hands down. 

This topic was one of the reasons I was hoping to bring the reviews section back, as I do believe there are some good products out there that many people may be using and we are all missing out on. Six months ago I had never heard of OLight. I would buy nothing else now. 

There's me thinking that you were about to post that GMC have finally seen the light (yes pun intended) and have decided to personally issue lighting to all frontline personnel. Alas no it's just some torches that you can only afford on an FDS wage 😂😂

• Haha 2

What is the connection for charging it like, is it rugged and is it fast charge time?  Use with gloves any issues with fire gloves, easy to turn on and off?

Mate of mine is a copper and he's just got one from the Unilite collection, they have some that are a bit cheaper, no complaints from him and nice and bright.

All subjective I guess Matt. If you browse the torches on the site you will see the connections and charging time within the specs. There are lots of reviews and videos about them all on YouTube. As I say, its perfect for my needs. Ive always been a believer in you get what you pay for, so each to their own. :)

I've just bought This. Does the job for me - compact, light, neat size for my pant pocket when not needed and a clip for wearing on my tunic hands free.  A whopping 700 lumens, fully rechargeable and excellent battery life. Even has a laser pointer so all you white helmets don't need to point anymore!

For just over £22 I can easily buy another if it breaks

55 minutes ago, CaptainFlack said:

Even has a laser pointer so all you white helmets don't need to point anymore

Some yellow helmets need pointing at more than others, hence why I have to have a rechargable battery. I couldn't afford to keep replacing them for some individuals.

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

I like my toys, but that's a lot of pennies for a torch 😁😁 but then if i did use it a lot i could probably justify it. 

They have offers on all the time and I got a massive £50 off the last one. 

• Haha 1