FBU

Deano89

So today was my first day of recruits training for GMFRS and the day mostly consisted of PowerPoint presentations, various internal departments coming to introduce themselves, FF charity etc.

The one that got me thinking was FBU, from what I've seen its something I do want to be part of but I was hoping for some experienced opinions before I make my decision.

Not sure if I would count myself as holding an experienced opinion, but in my honest opinion unless you have a specific reason you don’t want to join then why wouldn’t you? Trade unions are hugely important as they fight for the safety and rights of their members and without them there would be a lot of shafting going on. They operate from a platform that allows a lot of battles to be fought and won that would otherwise fall flat on their face. It’s something that needs to be supported and looked after and I hope the day when they don’t exist never comes. Aside from that you get various benefits from being a member ranging from discount on certain things to free legal advice and representation from Thompson’s Solicitors should you ever find yourself in a difficult situation. Not to mention if another strike comes around you don’t want to be scrambling to join so that you can go out the door without leaving yourself wide open, should you want to obviously.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, what you've both said is pretty much what I was thinking anyway but having never been a union member before I just wanted to be sure it is as good as we were told it is, I'll be filling out my application tonight

• Like 2

There is no union where I work and we are shafted regularly.

But it's not all about battles and confrontation. The FBU represent firefighters when discussing procedures, PPE, equipment and appliances, H&S procedures and SOP changes, pay, conditions, allowances and expenses.

Then they sit on inquiries, standards boards, and committees, they lobby parliament and the lords and affiliate with other trade unions

You try doing that on your own. I was in it 32 years, 3 strikes and moaned about them 1001 times..... per annum 

But I miss them now 

• Like 3

Nice to see you today @Deano89. Glad they brought the FBU up on your first day. I'm an FBU member and GMFRS has a high number of FBU Members. I don't know the numbers but I only know of a handful who are not. This poll may give you some indication ;)

• Like 1

Exactly what Messy said, the FBU often get slated and it is mostly unjustified.  They don’t get everything right and they are far from perfect BUT I’d rather have them behind me should I ever need them.

As an example, read up on the recent pensions result, without the FBU there would have been thousands of serving Ff’s having to work much longer for much less.

My FBU subs will continue until the day I retire.

• Like 2

Cheers @Carl it was good to see you and hopefully we get chance to catch up properly one day, the forms are all filled in now and they've persuaded me to have a monthly scratch card too so hopefully it'll pay for itself 😂

• Like 1

The average FBU member moans about them at least once a shift, associates all officials with massive pay packets funded from their personal subs and wouldn’t be seen dead at any boring branch meetings.

The truth is most officials from the lowly branch rep upwards get little more than some of their out of pocket expenses covered but they do a HUGE amount of behind the scenes work on behalf of members in areas such as disciplinaries, health and safety, serious incident investigations (supporting members at Grenfell etc), and of course negotiations at local and national level on pay and conditions.  Yes, you won’t agree with everything the union or certain of its reps say and do - it takes the majority view and you won’t always be in that majority.  No, the union won’t win every battle it fights or secure you a 25% pay rise.  But the union is its membership.  If you attend branch meetings, put your hand up when they need a rep etc then you can and will influence the union’s stance, you will be better informed, our unity may just win you an extra percent here or there (or more likely prevent another cut to existing conditions).  As others have said, join up and take part!

• Like 2

I see a Union as an insurance policy plus extra benefits but its something you pay for hopefully never going to use but there for when things do go wrong.

Yes not everyone will agree but its a bigger voice than just one person.

• Like 1