Fire Service Brexit Contingency Plans ?

Messyshaw

I wasn't sure where to put this, but as it relates to keeping operation crews supported I have put it here.

Amongst today's shenanigans in Westminster there is undoubtedly an increasing risk of a 'No Deal' Brexit. So are your Fire & Rescue Authority putting any contingency arrangements in place to keep the blue lights flashing? No, not a daft question - I promise.

Literally nobody knows what lies ahead and the supply chain industry are in deep anxiety. Lots of business no longer keep lots of stock on site and use 'just in time' systems that rely on a contestant and reliable top up and supply of resources on demand. Operation Stack at Dover has caused vulnerable industries some problems in the past, but logistic experts say a chaotic Brexit with no deal might find huge delays at ports. Where I work, we have carried out a risk assessment and have purchased a few items that would impact our business if we could access. These are mainly facilities infrastructure like transformers, valves, AC fans and coils made in Italy, Germany and so on.

With fire control rooms using bespoke AC and IT kit, possibly workshops using tools not made in the UK, some support services could be vulnerable.

However, with Mercs , Rosenbauer, & Holmatro becoming very common brands on the fire ground, front line services may also be less than resilient. Have a think of a main pump at your place of work and go through lock by locker to see how much is made in the UK.

Of course this might be another Y2K, but my employer (who also supplies an essential service) are not taking any risks

It’s exactly the same hysteria we had with Y2K, peddled by the same reporters who delight in giving us “Worst Winter In 50 Years” headlines every year which always turn out to be nothing of the sort.

Do all these companies trade with Norway, and Switzerland? Yes, very much so.

This current, widely acknowledged corrupt,  Franco German run version of the EUSSR is nothing like the intial premise sold to the people of the UK in 1973... which was a common trading platform, and has since morphed into a grotesquely expensive Orwellian cliche and now a ‘State’ of it’s own with its own ‘Government’. In the immortal words of Catherine Tates Grandma character “What a load of old ....”

It will collapse within 10 years, once we go more will follow. A great idea back in the day in it’s pure form, but since then was hyjacked by Neo Communists accross Europe.

• Like 4

It’s ironic that this guy mentions ‘Common Market’ in his article to insight fear. 

If it was still just that even the staunchest of Brexiteers like I would have no problems with it. However, no one was given a vote or say on how it has evolved into the ‘Nation State’ nonsense we have today. 

Edited by Carl
Link formatted as detailed within the FAQ Section
10 hours ago, Slade1890 said:

According to a recent FOI request into LFB, it seems that currently they don't have any Brexit Contingency plans. 

This is rather contrary to HM Govt instructions that all HMG Depts should assess and plan. Maybe that instruction has failed to reach the Home Office yet!!

• Like 1
On 16/11/2018 at 09:26, Percy said:

It’s exactly the same hysteria we had with Y2K, peddled by the same reporters who delight in giving us “Worst Winter In 50 Years” headlines every year which always turn out to be nothing of the sort.

Er.

Edited by Carl
Link formatted as detailed within the FAQ Section
  • Haha 1

Spent a fair while myself updating several computer systems to deal with Y2K issues.   In total, thousands of people spent millions of hours checking and where necessary rewriting code from years and even decades before to stop some serious consequences.  My boss at the time made a serious amount by dusting off his skills in a language he had thought obsolete a couple of decades earlier when there was a sudden need to revise a legacy system’s code.