Best Courses

We all know there are some really good courses available within the job. I have to say my EFAD (Emergency Fire Appliance Driver) for those outside the job and my Swift Water Course have got to be the best 2 I have been on. 

Whats yours and why?

Gotta be CFBTI mate. Proper hot wears 3 times a day for 2 weeks, really loved it. Id been a firefighter for 20 years when i did it, could not believe how much i didn't know! Amazing experience, and learned soooo much.

I'm with you on the Swift Water Technician course. I almost felt guilty at the how much I enjoyed it.

We're very lucky here as we have a recreational white water facility here which we use for our training.

Also next month I'm on my WRBO course in the Menai straits, few nights in a nice hotel and playing about with powerboats. Hopefully another good course!

Mine Carl was my CFBTI just because!! All that fire to deal with on a daily basis for two weeks, and great instruction, excellent. Closely followed by my RTCI, again two weeks of getting full on with up to 26 cars in all sorts of positions. Working closely with paramedics and again great instruction. 

Any course where we get more bag meals (school packed lunch style) than food in the canteen. 

I would say, EFAD was brilliant fun and the SIM1 was brilliant for learning best part of 2 weeks rolling into different incidents. 

I enjoy our BA/FBT refreshers as that is two days in the containers with fire.

Wow...a canteen, not had one of those for about 10 years now, funny I think if you asked our staff, they would prefer to return to that rather than buffet style brought in or bags - but due to costs that will never happen.

Defensive driving course ( car version of efad )

And strangely enjoyed the NILO course,  very intense, no notes, but lots of really helpful stuff with good instructors.

Our training center is on a Military site, so it is theirs which we use. Trouble is choice at times is rather strange, the bag meals aren't brilliant by any stretch but it is free so you can't complain. I just prefer the bag meals. 

I attended a Tac Command course last week which was facilitated by an ex ACO & GC from West Mids which was excellent! So much better than the equivalent college course that I attended 6-7 years ago. 

Also my Tac Vent instructors course in 2009 with 20+ lads from Strathclyde fire and rescue was a blast:D

5 hours ago, Mitch said:

Our training center is on a Military site, so it is theirs which we use. Trouble is choice at times is rather strange, the bag meals aren't brilliant by any stretch but it is free so you can't complain. I just prefer the bag meals. 

Mil catering went downhill fast when it when PAYD,and private firms took over.

14 hours ago, Ian said:

I attended a Tac Command course last week which was facilitated by an ex ACO & GC from West Mids which was excellent! So much better than the equivalent college course that I attended 6-7 years ago. 

Also my Tac Vent instructors course in 2009 with 20+ lads from Strathclyde fire and rescue was a blast:D

Not Artemis by any chance ?

Got to be water rescue at Cardiff whitewater centre. I always make a bit of a holiday of it and travel down the night before, stop in a hotel, meal at night, breakfast in the morning then a day in the water... just waiting for it to tally up with an ice hockey match so I can watch the Cardiff Devils play at the Ice Arena Wales next door after the day to top the day off ???

• 2 weeks later...