What Do You Call Your Pumps

Following on from the topic on mini pumps and the various names and abbreviations for appliances, how are you appliances described / abbreviated?

An example from the other thread

SFU - Small Fire Unit

We have used the SIU on many occasions but with a Special Incident Unit and a Small Incident Unit, its soon got lost.

One thing that has always confused me is those FRS's such as London who have a Pump and a Pump Ladder. I obviously know the difference but in Manchester we simply call the pumps the 1st and the 2nd. The first pump is the WM and the 2nd has a CM in charge. In terms of carrying a 135 ladder, every pump in Manchester carries them regardless. 

I think theres probably room for a whole new topic on acronyms to compliment this one on pumps ;)

SFU/TRV - Small Fires Unit/Tactical Response Vehicle (soon renamed when they were introduced)

Pump wise a WrL/R carries the 135 then WrT/R carries the 105.  Different levels of RTC gear on them too and that's Humberside.  Lincolnshire all are WrL/R carry both 135 and a 9m only slight difference is on 2 pump stations that are mainly wholetime the P1 (technical pump) carry a few different bits.

Hampshire have RP which is WrL with better rescue gear, all going that way, WrT and then some the new first response type.

Devon & Somerset have the LRP which is light rescue pumps and that is the Iveco mentioned.  

Different areas call them all something different, Lancashire are P and PL.  I could give you a whole list of of what there is but it would be pages.

We have SFA of the SFUs here yet, but time will tell if we can keep it that way.

Heavy Rescue Pump (HRP), Rescue Pump (RP), and Water Tender (WT) for the three types of front line appliances. 

My personal favourite is the DIM Officer that accompanies the DIM Unit.

London:

Pump Ladder - Carries the WM, 135, RTA gear and bespoke forced entry equipment.

Pump - Carries the CM, 9m ladder and some will carry light portable pumps.

Dual Purpose Ladder - Basically a Pump Ladder at a 1 appliiance stn so will carry the 9m as well. Known locally and for mobilising purposes a Pump Ladder.

It used to be the 'ladder' and the 'pump' denoting the 1st and the 2nd (WM on the 1st, CM on the 2nd).

These days its PRL 'pump rescue ladder' and a BRV (brigade response vehicle).

Because we only have 3 stations left with two 'proper' fire engines, all others being either a single PRL or a PRL and a BRV, I now hear on the shop floor either 'truck' (a real fire engine) or BRV.

Confused? :S

Here I have found the pump is a standard fire engine (13.5M ladder, 9m ladder, hydraulic Rescue equipment etc). Then they are either the first or second away.

We have a heavy off road which is normally called the MAN because that's who made the chassis. 

Depends who you are asking Jamie. We don't have nominal roll boards as in the old style were you write in chinagraph who's on the pump. They went in 2015 when we introduced Inner Cordon Gateway Control (ICGC). Basically you get two tallies with your name and number on. The first one slides into the role boards and is used on makeups etc to hand in to the Control Unit or Command Pump to say who is on each pump. Your second tally stays with you and you will need to slot it into the ICGC when you enter any fireground hazard area. The idea being if the building collapses or you go missing, we know who is inside or lost. This is separate from BA Entry Control. 

Anyway, back to the topic, the role board will just have the G53P1 tally in the board and will be colour of the watch on duty. But as our pumps are very similar (a few differences), they are just pumps.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 17:51, Aspire said:

London:

Pump Ladder - Carries the WM, 135, RTA gear and bespoke forced entry equipment.

Pump - Carries the CM, 9m ladder and some will carry light portable pumps.

Dual Purpose Ladder - Basically a Pump Ladder at a 1 appliiance stn so will carry the 9m as well. Known locally and for mobilising purposes a Pump Ladder.

With fire cover now at it's thinnest in London, Would it not be sensible to equip all the appliances to a common standard? 

I believe Norfolk have Rescue Pump (2x4 Scania) some with CAFS some without, Rural Rescue Pump MAN 4X4 with 10.5m Ladder, CAFS, and some Water Rescue Kit for flood response due to the impact of tidal surges, Water Tender Ladder (2x4 Scania) some with CAFS, some without and Heavy Rescue Pump with CAFS.....(Big Scania)  

On 10 May 2017 at 17:47, TandA said:

We have SFA of the SFUs here yet, but time will tell if we can keep it that way.

Heavy Rescue Pump (HRP), Rescue Pump (RP), and Water Tender (WT) for the three types of front line appliances. 

My personal favourite is the DIM Officer that accompanies the DIM Unit.

Surrey-

I pride myself on being a DIM officer!!?

Appliances are just 1st an 2nd (papa 1 or papa2) only got three two pump stations where this applicable, in theory WC in charge of first and CC in charge of second, but all that is required is a level one officer at the front now so could be either ,all pumps carry 135, 8 frontline have CAFS, the others have nafs ( nozzle aspirated foam system  ) all pumps have full rtc gear, 4 pumps are larger capacity ( for feeding alp or water movement )hvp support )all scanias apart from 4 retained which are old volvos, all have lpp and a number have Ppv (just about to go to stage 2/3 so more will get fans). All stations (24) have an MRV multi role vehicle..double crew cab land rovers configured which either twin Firefog systems or some just for transport or other uses.

im sure Percy will correct me if I'm wrong ! It has been known!

Our 2 appliance stations are still pump and ladder though they are near identical and carry the same kit including the 135. They can ride with a crew of 4 and 5 (9 total) though they usually go as 5 and 5. We have an RT (rescue tender) at Wellington that goes to all county wide persons trapped RTC's, large animal rescues, rope access jobs etc, this has 2 riders, and the RP (rescue pump) from Wellington also goes as support and rides 3 or 4. The 2 from the RT ride on the RP (making it 5 or 6 riders) for all in area fire and rescue calls. We also have 2x ALPS along with various water tenders, foam pods, environment pods, incident command  etc and the soon to depart ISU. Rumour has it we also have a mobile toilet known as Papa Poo but I've not seen it yet. 

8 hours ago, Firestorm said:

I call our pump Trevor. Have I misunderstood the thread?:/

TBH I was expecting Dennis to be the first answer

In H&W rescue pumps are identified by a 2 after the call sign ( and are usually referred to as that call sign ) These carry the stereotypical RTC equipment including airbags and stabfast. They will also carry a 135 and 9m ladder. The second and in a couple of cases third truck will be suffixed as a 1 and a 3. These will carry a combi tool and a ram as part of their RTC equipment. Aside from one WT/ RDS station and the single pump RDS stations they will not carry a 135. Some single machine RDS stations will have a rescue pump and others just a pump. Three of the trucks are fitted with CAFS, two on standalone RDS stations and carry rescue gear on them. All trucks in the service have an LPP and PPV fan as standard.

• Like 1

Following a change around about a year or so ago we now have pumps (most on call appliances and second pumps, the newer vehicles all having CAFS and LPP, larger bore hosereels and eventually PPV too). Mostly equipped with 10m and roof ladders. Callsign is Papa1 after the station number.

"mid range" appliances (mostly wholetime and select on-call will have cutting gear and a 135. Usually carrying PPV, some with CAFS, some with Cobra. Callsign is Romeo 3 after the station number.

Heavy rescue pumps will be as above with additional equipment such as line rescue, airbags, MIBS stretchers etc. Some will have an LGV platform rather than a ladder. Callsign Romeo 1.

The majority of on-call pumps here do not have dedicated cutting gear other than a recip saw.

On 13/05/2017 at 14:05, Tiggs said:

With fire cover now at it's thinnest in London, Would it not be sensible to equip all the appliances to a common standard? 

TBH we haven't enough room with current stowage to carry both options. Pumps will be doing the batch mobilisations for Heavy rain related floodings, so makes some sense for them to carry the LPP's. TBH London's Burning were carrying a 135 & a 9m on both appliances all the time, so don't see why bar expense we can't have both ladders aboard...