Steve Has Left The Building

Today see's the end in Steves operational career in the LFB. Anyone fortunate enough to have met or worked with Steve can pay testament to what an outstanding firefighter and officer he has been. Pivotal in shaping the careers of many officers (including me) in the London Fire Brigade.

Personally I want to say thanks Steve, I've called on you a fair few times for advice over the years and it's always been good advice, offered without hesitation.

Thanks for your service Steve, you are irreplaceable. We will miss you.

Let the tributes flow.....

• Like 7
  • Kudos 1

Last week, I was speaking to somebody who was very senior in the LFB. He was discussing how in his opinion, the changes the LFB have faced recently have not been good news. He added that the LFB would lose 2 x really outstanding NILOs in the next couple of weeks.

This is how senior managers view Steve and those in lower ranks often have the same admiration. I am not sure many officers can say that

He's a firemens firemen. Ok it's an old fashioned term , but one that means he might have all sorts of shit on his epaulettes,  with the resulting responsibilities,  but he respects those at the coal face as if they are peers

On this site he has been a major influence. His insight in to what's happening in the big house has been interesting and his openness to post overtly is a lesson to cowards like me who hide behind a nick name 

Just don't diss the LFB or call a job a make pump 4 job!!

All the very best Steve. I know you have professional plans beyond retirement, but do not forget that book!!

• Like 3

Must have been an emotional day for you Steve. Messy has hit the nail on the head - ‘fireman’s fireman’. Just gutted I never actually got to meet you in person whilst I was in LFB. Good luck with your new venture but make sure you enjoy your retirement as well!

And I echo the ‘make pumps X’, I still cringe when I hear it up north ?

• Like 1

Steve. Without having met you it is easy to see how well respected you are. The job needs more officers like yourself. I have tried for LFB in the past and will do again in the future, for various reasons both personal and professional. It is a shame you will not still be around if and when I make the move. To put it simply, from one fireman to another, much respect and enjoy the next chapter. Sounds like you have had one hell of a career.

• Like 1

I share holdfasts comments, I'm sure the service won't let you just slip away quietly, I look forward to the pictures.

Have a well earned rest,  I salute you SIR.

• Like 1

Steve,

As I have said before I have hung on to many of your words over the years and you have been an influence to me from afar. You are held in high esteem and respected by your colleagues and peers...there is no greater accolade as a human being and an officer.

Have a long,  safe and enjoyable retirement!

• Like 1

Steve, I’ve bumped into you a few times on jobs over the years (although you probably won’t remember me, different boroughs), the most recent one being last week at Wanstead Flats.  

What has been apparent on each occasion is the esteem that my fellow firefighters and officers hold you in, it stand out like a sore thumb.  I remember not long into the job I was one of two BA wearers who rescued a very badly burnt and unconscious (but alive) young guy from a first floor flat.  I didn’t know who you were then (except for being a senior officer) and I remember you going out of your way to seek us out to thank us and tell us we had done a good job.  Things like that stick.

Also, I remember sending you a PM for advice on the previous forum a few years ago regarding a little wobble I was experiencing at the time, and you replied with a very lengthy and brutally honest reply.  Well, that sorted me out and made me re calibrate myself, so cheers.

Ive not heard a bad word said against you yet, even from some of the more ‘negative’ firefighters I know, so that speaks volumes.

LFB is a poorer place now you’ve hung up your tunic.

• Like 1

Not sure whether it classes as a smoky story or not.. But our very own Steve 'The Dude' is on his last shift tonight. Hopefully he'll have something of note to go out on (beyond the ongoing grass fire that started earlier...) but he will be sorely missed...

• Like 1

I started working for the ‘Boss’ almost 3 years ago as a WM with his office upstairs, then got him as my immediate line manager at the back end of last year after just 3 months apart.

He has always been supportive and always on call to give that honest advice. He is welcome, unannounced, around many a mess table in the NE Area and that tells you what the troops think of him.

This mornings roll call also showed testament to him with around 20+ senior officers and 2 watches parading for him one last time.

The building aint going to be the same wothout him, thanks Boss!

• Like 2

I'm speechless, there are no words as the date seems to have come around so fast.

There is going to be one big pair of boots to fill tomorrow morning at 9 am.  I've never met Steve in person but its quite clear the passion given to the job, a fireman's fireman and no messing around gets the job done and earns you the respect as shown today on the final roll call as well as all the comments saying the same.

A career to be proud of and stories to fill many books.  I would not want to be in your boots saying good bye to all of this in the morning, probably harder walking away than it was walking in.

You have done the LFB and your family proud, I wish you all the best in your future plans and it is one memorable summer to go out on.

• Like 1

Enjoy your last 9 Steve, also enjoy your birthday. Spend some time to reflect on a stellar career and be proud to know just what a difference you've made.

You and Jules in such a short space of time. What a loss.

• Like 2

Many congratulations Steve on a Stirling career.  I think one of biggest compliments a senior fire officer can have is when it comes from the station mess table.  I’ve been sat around a few In lfb over the years and every time that I’ve mentioned that I know Steve, the response is always on the same lines ,‘ah yes, he’s one of the good guys and somebody you’d want on your shoulder on the fire ground, a top bloke‘. You should be rightly proud of your career. 

I doth my cap to you mate and wish you well in the next chapter of your life ?

• Like 1

There are two memories that spring readily to mind:  Rolling up to a 6/8pump high rise job to be met by the Dude telling me that he needed all my crew in BA and seeing the look on my face said 'Yes, you as well Neil :D' (Nice to still get a wear every now and again, not that I'm partial to throwing a set on mind...) Second was to smell of burning up towards Hampstead way, bit off my patch. You could smell it way before I was even on the same street as the shout, good going job somewhere. I get on the Radio to control, ask if anyone has a decent job going anywhere local. Within seconds my mobile starts ringing 'Steve here Neil, up in the command suite, just heard your message, there's a (fifteen,twenty, can't remember exactly) going on out east, the smoke plumes going straight over the top of you with the wind travel, there's three or four smell of smoke in the vicinity type calls going between you and the job, wouldn't be surprised if that's your cause mate'  That sums up Steve, always there for the blokes, a solid firefighter's firefighter, always got a smile there for folks, and likewise for Jules Lloyd, when the job got sizeable enough, you'd breathe a sigh of relief when you heard it was The Dude coming on. End of an era.

p.s. Kettles always on if you're passing in the moneybox mate ;)

• Like 1

As I have said previously Steve you are well respected and have done a fantastic job (a bit grumpy at times xD)  Although I never managed to succeed in getting into the brigade, your advice in the early days was a huge help.

Looking forward to reading that memoirs book whenever you get round to writing it!

• Like 1

Good luck Steve. Always thoroughly enjoyed your posts (especially the longform reads) and really made me think about things. 

A belter of a career had an definitely hope there's a book in it (or at least a leaflet).

Enjoy your new life, hope you stick around ?

• Like 1

Congratulations on your retirement Steve, thanks for all the ball breaking advice in my early days of applying that helped me when I eventually got into the service.

A very well respected officer who remembered his “fireman” roots until the end of his career.

I’m glad I got to meet you on a few incidents and also for a beer, I wish you all the best for the future. Good luck mate 

• Like 1

Enjoy yourself Steve, you've earned it! Your posts on this forum and the old one were excellent and without-a-doubt had an influence on me getting the job. What's the plan now? :)

• Like 1

I purposely hadn't replied to this thread, up to this point for a number of reasons. Firstly Steve was still on duty and hadn't actually left and I believe he managed to squeeze a 20 PF in for good measure. No  going quietly then.

Secondly I know Steve is a very modest chap. As he puts it himself " I only ever came to work to do a job and only ever treated people how I expected to be treated, with respect and honesty, sometimes brutal if required but all with the best of intentions. " Not a bad mantra is it. 

Finally although he has left the LFB, we don't want to see him leave the forum, which he has helped make the success it is. @Messyshaw will keep you right on how retired members should behave.

The tributes both on here and elsewhere from friends and colleagues in the LFB speak volumes of how widely respected Steve is. My only regret is that I never worked with Steve operationally. On a personnel note though, I have thoroughly enjoyed spending time in Steve's company on numerous visits to London, taking in many places, stations and watches, including some place called Poplar. Has anyone heard of it, no thought not.xD

Wishing you all the best with your post fire brigade life and now that you have retired, we might be able to persuade you to venture out of the Capital, so that we can return the hospitality.;)

• Like 3

I too have let everyone have their say, firstly as I wasn't sure how to word what I wanted to say and to be honest I don't think I still can. 

Ive known Steve personally for nearly 20 years now, firstly when he joined a very new concept I had just created which is now the very site and forum you find yourself on. Steve was instrumental in ensuring that any operational subjects were discussed as they should be and it was soon apparent that "this guy knew his stuff". There wasn't a fire service subject that he could answer or start a topic on. Im sure many will agree, his professionalism is second to none. Having myself been seconded to the Fire Service College for 2 years in the past, I used to come across the odd LFB bod and would always mention Steve, not one, said they didn't know him in some shape or form. Pretty good going for a service with 6000 firefighters at one point. 

I first met Steve back in 2002 when he invited me down to London for a couple of days. As a London cabbie, Steve gave us a tour of London in about 4 hours. I still remember the journey and still feel sick at being bounced about in a black cab. But we did have a laugh ?

I have visited London on several occasions and have always enjoyed the company of Steve and likewise, Steve has visited Manchester. I can honestly say I have never met anyone quite like him and I don't think I ever will LFB will not be the same without him. I also hope he continues to stay on the forum as I firmly believe that there are still many people who can learn from the knowledge and experience Steve can share with us all. 

So with glass in hand, have a happy and long retirement and I will see in London in the coming weeks ?

• Like 2

Its Midnight. I have now logged off of my LFB Desktop for the last time (sorry no more incident updates or bragging right on what is going on in LFB). I have simutaneously in the last few seconds just retired from LFB and turned 50. I really have now left the building.

However, I'm going nowhere in a hurry from here and I've already had a couple of 'come back and help' job offers from LFB. So I've left the building but the door is still open. ?

• Like 2

I can’t add much that hasn’t already been said.  It’s clear, just from the huge volume of comments and best wishes being directed at Steve on his retirement, just how well known and well thought of he is.  What stands out for me though in every post I have seen has been the warmth and heartfelt thanks expressed from the very very top of the LFB pile right down to those just starting out on their careers.  He is clearly well respected by all and they all recognise his commitment, skill and professionalism.  I am sure the LFB goes on, but they have lost a damn good officer and fireman tonight.

• Like 1

Steve after meeting you as a young LFB anorak at training school and working with you over my 30 years in the LFB, I'm proud to call you a friend. Glad you've joined me in retirement even if you are a year late!

Beer soon mate

• Like 1

Congratulations on your retirement gaffer, well deserved. Hope it is a long, healthy and happy one. Always good to read your contributions on this site, speaks to your vast knowledge and experience, and willingness to help others. A great role model. LFB will be a poorer place. 

• Like 1