LFB Big Learning

ShaunC1988

Afternoon everybody.

I started my home training with LFB yesterday through the big learning website and what I've been able to look at so far has been very interesting but quite hard to remember.

Obviously it's very important to try and remember everything you are reading and learning but wanted to know what tests are given to you at the end of the course to make sure you have been revising and what kind of pass mark is it?

Can people still fail at this point or do the LFB help you in the areas you may be struggling on so that you pass and can start you full time training on time?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone failing at training school in the last decade or so. Maybe an instructor could provide some more inslight? 

Mate, you're so far off the mark. If you don't make the grade, you're out. This isn't done on a whim, you'll be given support but if the standard isn't there, you're gone.

• Like 2

Definitely know of failures and “ encouraged “ re-takers at training school. Lacking in physical strength, attitude, head else where sort of thing. 

• Like 2

Hmmm, I’ve known plenty of instances where trainees who never made the mark at training school were thrown off a course.  Granted, you used to get lots of help to brush up on whatever it was you were struggling with, but there was only a finite number of times they could help you.  If you struggled with a particular training module (pumps and ladders etc) you’d usually get recoursed and start with a new course to redo that module.

That was then, when LFB used to train us.  I’m not sure how courses are run these days with Babcock.

I’d always thought that was what happened. If you messed up badly you were just recoursed onto a later intake provided you didn’t do anything catastrophically bad

I was speaking to a Babcock trainer nearly 2 years ago now, up at Park Royal. They were running a handful of courses, so not the major drive that’s on now. He told me the brigade leave it up to Babcock to make the decision regarding termination of employment. The brigade then rubber stamp it.

He was a bit annoyed because they had just let a trainee go, the trainee was struggling to meet the required standard despite putting in extra work to try and get there. Whilst the “stronger” ones on the course were up in the canteen having tea and biscuits rather than helping their mate get it done. 

I don’t know if that situation is unique because there were no courses for that person to be back squaded on to.

Before the end of STC and brigade training you would hear of people floating around training school for over a year. 

2 hours ago, BurtMacklin said:

Whilst the “stronger” ones on the course were up in the canteen having tea and biscuits rather than helping their mate get it done. 

That attitude really irks me, as those trainees would undoubtedly need some help once they were on station doing what theyve learned for real. I was told at the start of my recruits course that we wouldnt survive the course if it was every “man” for himself. Ive heard of courses being given a dressing down for effectively throwing a recruit to the wolves

On 18/04/2018 at 08:32, BurtMacklin said:

Before the end of STC and brigade training you would hear of people floating around training school for over a year. 

Someone I know very well spent 18 months at STC for one reason or another, I’m not sure if that’s a record.

Also, I know of one trainee who messed up badly on the last day of a Morton drill and he got recoursed right back to day 1.

Sod that?

On 13/04/2018 at 14:05, ShaunC1988 said:

Afternoon everybody.

I started my home training with LFB yesterday through the big learning website 

Dinosaur warning!!

Home training??? What is this? An e-learning course prior to starting at Training School? Or is it bigger than that?

So us this an enhancement to trainee courses or a money saving exercise leading to a reduction of standard?

I am not against the idea, I just don't know the details

@Messyshaw It's basically a way for LFB to save money but telling you to learn a certain amount of modules (unpaid) 5-6 weeks prior to your official full time training start date. 

On 17/04/2018 at 14:45, Bgjm21 said:

Maybe things are different down south. North of Hadrian’s wall it’s  certainly not something I’ve ever came across 

Read the thread title. The LFB bit may be a clue.

2 hours ago, Messyshaw said:

Dinosaur warning!!

Home training??? What is this? An e-learning course prior to starting at Training School? Or is it bigger than that?

So us this an enhancement to trainee courses or a money saving exercise leading to a reduction of standard?

I am not against the idea, I just don't know the details

They've been doing it for a few years Messy. Babcock give them a locket Ipad with learning modules to learn, in your own time, prior to starting the course. This enables the course tp be shorter as the majority of time spend at the training centres is just practical. Saves a fortune.

• Thanks 1

I think it suits Babcock better than the trainees because the cost to them is an iPad for each one rather than the salaries of the extra trainers they’d need to get the same number of recruits through training. I doubt the brigade would have adopted it if training hadn’t been outsourced. 

5 hours ago, BurtMacklin said:

I doubt the brigade would have adopted it if training hadn’t been outsourced. 

Probably the understatement of the century.

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Daaaaaamn, that's gutting.

Are there some strange additional f*ck-factors in Babcocks training that people are slipping up on? Or is it just the usual attrition rate you'd expect on a trainee course?

To get all the way to the near end and be given the boot doesnt sound like an unfit trainee or one too many safety critical errors

As Noddy rightly said, if it was deserved (and it takes quite a bit to be sacked) then I have zero sympathy.  

Struggling with certain elements of training is one thing, they will do their best to get you up to scratch.  However, anyone thinking that they are the next comedy genius or course hard man will be treading on thin ice.

I know the reason why he was sacked but out of respect for his father, a man I've worked with, I won't post it in a public forum.

• Like 2