Rosenbauer AT

I cannot make out what they are. Initially I thought some sort of hard suction/ high volume hose storage but they're different diameters and why would you have so few of them if they were?

Enormous built in cooling loop/soda stream/church organ?

I'll let you know, as I'm just going back to response, and this will be based at one of the stations I will be in charge of, where there is the 42m alp and the 19000 l water carrier. Yes I do like toys !

I can see them getting hit by overhanging trees and potentially ripped off as the truck is already high and this just adds to it.  Unless its just me as I was down that way on Friday and I just seemed to be driving under tree after tree when not on the motorway!

• 4 weeks later...

Staffordshire and Cornwall are going to be the next Brigades to see Rosenbauer pumps hitting the streets, Staffordshire are having something similar to Surrey but on Volvo and Cornwall have gone for the smaller version on a MAN.

@Becile have you seen one of yours close up yet, what do you think to it?

Yes seen it, played with it,  broke some of it (lol)some of the new stuff is very good and some not so, its going to be like marmite  to be honest. I personally like it. Ill try to upload some pictures but not sure how as the total size allowed is 2MB (@carl any help please)

Digital Pump.jpg

4 low pressure deliveries at the rear , 1 on either side. 1 hp (25mm) hose reel at rear.1 x hp 25mm layflat deliveries on either side. Foam capable through all deliveries. Uhpsxl system nearside. No ba in the cab 2 , sets of fire kit carried. Latest battery cutting gear. 70 mm hose (not 64mm)

Inlets for both 100mm and 150 suction on pump..(hvp compatible )

10.5 ladder.

Been up close to them alot recently at Reigate. Pumps quite similar to the rosenbauer nh35 in layout obviously a bit more complex. They've been going in and out of the yard all week. 

We're doing a pumps refresh next week for our transfer course, any likelihood we'll get a go? ;)

• 1 month later...
On 11/09/2018 at 13:51, Matt said:

Been sent this, this weekend, a Surrey AT captured on the road, a nearly finished article I'd say.  Rocket launchers on top for when things get bad in Surrey!!

Ah, you've heard about the famous Oxshott gin shortage riots. They were simply dreadful.

If I wasn't on AL I'd have been tempted to have a look at it on my way in. Is it a parralel hybrid where it can switch between battery or diesel drive or is it purely electic drive and the diesel engine just tops up the battery/powers the pump? 

Always been a bit skeptical about electic HGVs as Li batteries don't really have the energy density to make it viable without it being absurdly heavy. Be interested to see Rosenbauers approach.

It can switch between electric and diesel, I was expecting to see  loads of batteries and associated weight,  the battery was a couple of feet long and about 50mm in depth, but as it's a concept the customer can specify the battery range etc, but you would sacrifice space and weight, and this is also governed by the size of the wheels and regulations (so I was told )  wasn't allowed to take any pictures, but it was very techy in the cab..huge 20 inch touch screen that could control absolutely everything. Really small turning circle with front and rear steer (When enabled)

I'm all for change but this is going over the top. 

A fire engine needs to be reliable and serve its purpose, the current design with an engine has been tried and tested for many many years.

By adding all the electrics and computers the bill in workshops and time off the run is a lot higher than it used to be with appliances.  I know I can go ta  mid 90's vehicle now, flick the PTO, open a valve by hand and away we go and not a computer in sight.  I know a tank of diesel will last x long if pumping, just asking for issues going with more electrics.  There isn't the need and its just a new way to drain yet more money out of services up and down the county as they want to be first and "save money" (which will cost them in the long run).

I might sound like a dinosaur but we are making things more complicated than it needs to be, things don't need to be this flash and fancy to do a basic job.