Cleaning of PPE

We would be pushing a different wipe on here, but the supplier has an unorthadox method of advertising which isn't inline with forum policy ?

• Kudos 1

Nothing wipe wise in Humberside, kit is to be laundered after any compartment fires with a week turnaround or longer if them deem it needing a repair.

Self clean of BA, helmet, flash hood, gloves basically anything none leggings and tunic.

They have been looking at wipes but certainly nothing made it to RDS stations yet.

• 4 weeks later...

For the communities information work has begun on a new British Standard for the Cleaning, Maintenance and Repair of firefighters PPE.  It is hopeful we can get this code of practice published by mid-late 2019.  We hope to be able to have our first draft out for consultation by end of this year.  National FBU involved in drafting this standard :)

• Like 3

Not yet, we will discuss this in the project group for the new standard though and am sure we will include some guidance

As you'll understand the risk of exposure to contaminants is a much broader issue and many of the control measure we can but in place are simpler and potentially more effective.  For instance: -

• the better all round use of RPD at scene and back at station when cleaning kit or handling dirty kit. Studies suggest 80% exposure is respiratory.
  • a 'clean cab' policy (Kent have just introduced this)
  • provision of showers at station so personnel can wash after incident and before going home
  • cultural changes such as not putting dirty gloves in fire helmets (or boots) and then wearing the helmet without cleaning it or wearing dirty kit as a badge of honour

The list could go on.  I have a colleague here in Kent working on the National contaminants project (which includes NFCC and FBU) who would gladly talk through with any interested FRS or individual,  pm me and I'll give you his email.

Edited by Carl
Quote removed as it is a direct reply. See FAQ
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...

They are not fully on all trucks yet. Just trail on a few. 

I think they contain the hero wipes, gloves, dust masks, decon bags and other wipes.

Im on leave till the 16th. I’ll ask about when I’m back.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Yes they are on all trucks now. Same stuff as above with white decon suits to wear. They have been used extensively these last couple of days for a big job in Avon. Massive Asbestos risk from a tower block and workshops.

• Like 1

I’m back in on Friday, I’ll grab one as well as the list of what’s inside.

Here is a pic of a bit of the contents.

Clean Pack.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Please see the new topic I have created on the new British Standard (Code of Practice) for the Cleaning, Repair and Maintenance of Firefighters PPE.

• 1 month later...

Reminded by another thread. I attended a meeting recently looking at how many stations have PPE hung up in open lockers in the public areas of the station. Many stations do have this facility and usually next to the engine house where folk walk in and out. The meeting I attended was to try and change the way we store our clean and contaminated PPE on stations. Long way to go but good to see a move in this direction.

Surprised its not been raised already but at events where members of public (children in particular) are in the back of the cab trying on helmets, jackets etc they are at risk from any contaminates, same when visiting schools and kit taken in.  Something to bear in mind.

I think we are all guilty of that, kit was always taken into a school for teachers to try on and demonstrate to the kids how teacher would look, whilst all the time the possibility of contamination existed. 

Like I have said on another platform, the kit shouldn't be that contaminated,  if it is at an incident, should be laundered in line with your providers guidance, helmets can be cleaned at scene with simple products. Shift change briefings if done correctly should pick up dirty PPE. Dont put yr gloves in helmet or boots. Dirty kit can be bagged up using methodologies that dont expose yourself or others to risk. We had our kit tested for gassing off and where kit is hung in appliance bay (diesel particulates emmisions) and surprisingly the results were really low. It's a culture change mainly.

Many of you will be aware of the good work of WC James Grove(west mids) if not check out his website.

In an ideal world this is great but I don't think this works as it should especially in our service. The stations I have worked on pick up more than one job a tour and when our kit is dirty it goes in the laundry, gets collected once a week, and then you get it back probably a fortnight later if you are lucky.. You then put on your second set of PPE (We are issued with personal PPE) and before the tour is out, you have had another job. We have to be realistic here too, at the rate we get jobs we would run out of PPE. Once our 2nd set of PPE is contaminated we resort to pooled PPE which to be fair is like entering the dressing up cupboard and first in best dressed. The pooled PPE cant be pooled to meet all sizes. 

We did of course have washing machines on stations a few years back, but those old enough to remember will remember also that they were removed due to a little incident. 

How do the LFB guys deal with PPE, surely they can't change it after each working decent job, just as we cant.

One thing I am also mindful of now as an SM and I carry my kit with me, is that its my own cars boot. Its in a sealed box and aired each night if needed.