Cleaning of PPE

• 5 weeks later...

After reading the articles in last months FBU magazine I see that Hampshire have taken steps to mitigate exposure to contaminants. Is anyone on here based in Hampshire and able to tell me what the wet wipes are that are now being stored on the engines? Also any feedback on how the well the new procedures are working would be appreciated.

Cheers

I don't think wet wipes is a solution. We have carried them for years to remove some contaminants, but to be able to remove enough to make a difference, I don't think so ?

Depends on the wipes. Obviously not the trigene ones as they are just a disinfectant. They exist in America in a capacity that actually lifts the toxins from the skin, and decontaminating on scene can supposedly remove 85% of known carcinogens. As opposed to waiting an hour to have a shower back at station after they have already been absorbed into the skin.

I agree that it’s not a solution by any means but I think it’s one of several things that can be done to help reduce the risk. HFRS are also apparently bagging up the BA sets and placing them in lockers rather than just lobbing them back in the cab. I’m just wondering what the wipes are and how they compare, and if they are actually at all effective.

@Noddy do you know how the trial was initiated or who the supplier is? I’m just after anything that would help to get something similar going in my own brigade.

I think our ba trainers are trialling them and we in FI are about to get them.  The UK supplier is actually a FF here in West Mids so he has done well to raise the issue and get his own brigade on board.  I’ll get his contact details and share them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Noddy thanks for putting me in touch with Paul I’ve even got my hands on some samples of the wipes. They are absolutely brilliant. Packaged well, great branding and the wipes themselves smell good and are kind to the skin. The individually packaged wipes are ideal for storing in your tunic, and the pack is perfect for on the pumps.

They really do need to be in every fire service for everyone to use. In my opinion every fire engine should have a pack of them in the cab. It would be a step towards implementing well needed decontamination procedures across the service.

Quite exciting to know they are being trialled in the UK and that things look as though we may be moving forward in this area. ?

• 4 weeks later...

Im in Hampshire, and whilst I've seen adhoc bagging of kit at incidents in no way is this the norm. 

No wipes unless purchased by station, we have normal Ba fireground service wipes. These are not getting wiped on me!

No space in lockers for snotty kit. Goes in the cab!

No deep cleaning facility for helmet, ba set or other contaminated kit other than wipes and trigene.

We have a second set of tunic and leggings, no spare helmet. 

As much as I'm disappointed to say it, whilst there are some very proactive watches and stations as well as officers there is no official stance or provision. 

Again referring to my original post, I'm waiting to ask a senior manager what the service is going to do about it. In the interim look after yourselves and make a best judgement for your own personal well being.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Lummox said:

No wipes unless purchased by station, we have normal Ba fireground service wipes.

What are the wipes? Trigene or something else?

There are several variations of these wipes being created around the world, and I am sure in time there will be plenty on the market, even a UK Manufacturer. Of course each one claiming to be the best on the market.

We were hoping to progress this through a 3rd party but unfortunately our guidelines were being ignored, so we will look at alternatives.  With this in mind I am now actually looking at a few companies myself , including FireWipes through USAR Tech, as we have the correct platform to push them, especially with a high website Google ranking and Verified Twitter and Facebook accounts. ;)

• Kudos 1

Obviously, the Skelleftea Model looks very effective but I often wonder if its overkill.  Does anyone have links to the science? What are acceptable levels of ongoing exposure? How much are current methods protecting us and how bad are they compared to everyday hazards/situations people encounter. 

On 19/05/2018 at 21:11, HoldFast said:

I’m just wondering what the wipes are and how they compare, and if they are actually at all effective.

We have some of the above noted wipes and they clean up well.  Anecdotally, I suspect one of the main routes of entry for toxins is the flash hood area. A suspicious number (no scientific causal link) of throat, mouth, and lymph cancer cases have appeared in our fire instructors at the provincial fire college over the years.  So the wipes may be a good start.      

On 17/04/2018 at 21:17, Cashybai said:

Brutal cynic in me sez its probably cheaper for brigades to pay out the few who can provide a definitive link between ops and their cancer than to provide the extra kit, maintenance programme, training packages, extra cover required whilst trucks off the run cleaning kit....

Wow, does the UK not have presumptive cancer legislation for firefighters?

I’ve read some studies on exposure rates and absorption routes etc I’ll see if I can find any links. Skin absorption rather than inhalation of smoke is one of the main areas, through your face, throat, hands & arms and groin. You actually absorb it through your whole body however they are the key areas, as the kit we wear isn’t specifically designed to protect against this, but rather shield us from heat. The carcinogenic particles still get through, and for every 1 degree rise in body temp your skin absorption rates increase by 100%.

And no the UK does not currently have presumptive cancer legislation.

Just checked and I have misquoted slightly. It’s actually a potential increase of 400% for every 5 degrees rise in body temp.

On 27/06/2018 at 22:37, HoldFast said:

What are the wipes? Trigene or something else?

Baby wipes are what I am now carrying in my helmet bag. The fire ground servicing wipes are not trigene as far as I’m aware. I’ll check tomorrow when back in but I’d be very unhappy about cleaning skin with them even if that was the intention. 

Hope you've not spent any money on these Carlos, Bolton North & Stalybridge have thousands of them stacked up

They do indeed and I needed suncream yesterday otherwise I would have been in hospital after a 17 hour shift.

Anyway, back on topic :)

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested in downloading the Firefighter Cancer Toolkit I have read some interesting stuff there however I haven’t read the whole thing. It’s American as is most of the information surrounding the subject, but some of it is obviously still relevant to UK firefighters

• 5 weeks later...

I would guess the recent campaigning around contaminated kit has had an impact. Anecdotally, I and other I know send my kit off far more often than I used too. 

On 13/08/2018 at 17:24, Matt said:

Just seen this tweet from Avon today, they are looking at Hero Wipes.

The training team had them on our 2 week course. They removed a daft amount of soot and stuff from the back of neck, face and arms. We have been told that they will be getting them onto all appliances soon.