Mobile Phone Policy

Yoffey

Bit of common sense leave it in your locker, they've caused the death of mess room banter and seen people sacked.

• Like 1

Clearly lacking any common sense here in doing that in the first place.

Pros and cons to having them, 1 good thing could be a tranlator tool if stuck with someone that doesn't speak the same language and you try to help you can use it but only if safe to i.e. not explosion risk.  There is always going to be someone who goes over the mark and this is one.

The man deserved to be sacked - what a prize bell-end. I will shed no tears for him as even when caught, he tried to blame it on his peers

In the interests of free speech, I would defend his words however abhorrent - if they were not accompanied by the image he took on the fireground - which is clearly misconduct  

What a cowardly and disgusting individual, no other words for it.  It isn’t really an issue of carrying a mobile phone on duty, it’s purely down to him being a total pillock.

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, Matt said:

Clearly lacking any common sense here in doing that in the first place.

Pros and cons to having them, 1 good thing could be a tranlator tool if stuck with someone that doesn't speak the same language and you try to help you can use it but only if safe to i.e. not explosion risk.  There is always going to be someone who goes over the mark and this is one.

if you need it for that, it should be provided paid for and recorded by the service,plod have interupters on call and i am sure it will be taped, sadly past incidents have shown there are those happy to try and blame FR&S for stuff that was not of thier making

In GMFRS we have pump mobiles which are pretty restricted in what can be done and not done. In terms of language barriers we have a service we dial into called Language Line. They work out the language and patch you through to an interpreter who translate. All relatively quickly. 

I'm as guilty as anyone else for staring at my phone during downtime, but honestly I would support a ban on carrying them on duty and have them left in lockers.

This comes down to a discipline issue. Carry your phones because, let's face it, that's the world we live. 

It comes down to a firefighters on standards of personal conduct and discipline 

17 hours ago, Jet said:

have them left in lockers

I think the current policy supports that now, its just not managed that way?