BA Procedures

Jono

Its disappointing to hear that the BA Comms is still shite more than a decade after I retired.😒

There is something wrong that a BA crew in 2021 in a critical high risk situation  struggles to communicate with colleagues often less than 100m away, while a 12 year old outside is phoning her friend in Australia to tell him about the fire.😳

I am not competent in digital communications,  but surely a hybrid mobile phone/BA comms isn't beyond the ability of IT boffins?

they are deliberately low powered which I didn’t know, for their intrinsic safety rating, the current BA comms are limited to 1 watt where as the personal radios are 4 watts. it was pointed out that the occasions they are used in an explosive atmosphere are minuscule compared to the occasion they are used in a fire and therefore already ignited atmosphere

If its anything like ours in West Mids, they’re clearer than a bose sound system doing your daily check, then the second youre under air about to go into a job they dont work? Its common for people to take out the mask cable and the push to talk on the arm strap. Or take in another hand held radio

Essentially, it consists of an ear piece that attaches to the face mask on one of the side straps and a bone mic that sits on top of the head.

The wire from it has to be roved through the flash hood and through the top half of the Velcro zip cover on the tunic, before exiting and being plugged into the Push-to-Talk. This has to be done while donning the set- it can’t be left like this in the cab.

The bone mic and earpiece have the effect of pulling the straps in different directions, meaning that the seal is almost never perfect. For those of us with larger suedes, it’s incredibly uncomfortable in the helmet.

Oh, and it rarely actually works.

• Agree 1
  • 2 months later...

@Jono86 I'm pretty certain I know what service you work for as WT, as I've recently transferred out of it to another service where we do Directional searching only and the concept of compartment or 'Room' searching (its new preferred name) is so misunderstood its painful.  I've encountered some similarly issues as you found in your retained service and its even more concerning for me as I have my first BAR coming up for this service and I am really clueless to what they want, practical firefightership or robotic book based drill procedures. 

• Like 1
On 02/11/2021 at 16:25, BurtMacklin said:

they are deliberately low powered which I didn’t know, for their intrinsic safety rating, the current BA comms are limited to 1 watt where as the personal radios are 4 watts. it was pointed out that the occasions they are used in an explosive atmosphere are minuscule compared to the occasion they are used in a fire and therefore already ignited atmosphere

intrinsically safe com's? what is this wonder land you speak of? 🤨

We only have basic non-IS com's and if we are in a combustible atmosphere, we have to turn them off.. 🙄 

@Highlander. Er, how do you know you are in a flammable or explosive atmosphere  when wearing BA????

A natural gas leak, a cylinder gently letting by, accelerant pooled on the floor under your feel? I experienced all of this when wearing IS BA gear......... and was very thankful 

My point exactly.......

I truly can't see how its justified. I come from a highly ATEX/zone rated industry and that would a huge no no....

Quote removed as its a direct quote of the post above, please see FAQ

• Kudos 1