Ladders

Following on from the Cheshire Transfer thread, was just wondering what ladders do you carry on pumps in your service? Warwickshire are fitting out their midi-pumps with 10.5m ladders as their main one

In H&W all pumps have as standard a 13.5m, a 9m, short ex and a roof ladder ( aside from Droitwichs and Herefords first who have a LGV working platform ) On two pump stations, the second pump doesnt carry a 13.5 but the rest are as standard. And on our three pump stations there will be two 13.5s to go around

Used to have 13.5, 7m (really useful) and a roof ladder (and short ex of course). Now on new pump it's 10m, roof ladder and short ex.

.......and community safety step ladder.

21 minutes ago, Carefree said:

In LFB our pump ladders all carry 135, 9 metre and 3 piece extension ladders.

Not strictly true. All Dual Purpose ladders carry that, but Pump Ladders on two appliance stations will only carry a 135 with the pump carrying the 9 metre ladder. 

We've just put our new appliance on the run last week, it carries a 13.5m, a 10.5m, roof ladder and short extension. Most of the fleet in SFRS West (Str@thclyde) carries a 9m instead of the 10.5, so I guess this is the new ladder strategy going forward. ARPs have a 12m instead of a 13.5m and don't carry a 9m.

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:55, JonFromTheLFB said:

Not strictly true. All Dual Purpose ladders carry that, but Pump Ladders on two appliance stations will only carry a 135 with the pump carrying the 9 metre ladder. 

Correction, all DPL's carry 135, 9 metre, 3 piece AND a roof ladder.  I was tired yesterday so my attention span was low9_9

• Like 1

Something similar with us, on a one pump 135, 9m, triple extension and roofing ladder and on a two pump, first carries all ladders, the second doesn't have a 135 with the 9m the main ladder.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread here. I've noticed that on the new LFB pumps and PL's they dont seem to be carrying a short extension or roof ladder. Is this the case or are they hidden away somewhere?

Going really well so far! Just got on to BA now which is good fun, but a lot to take on. There’s a MK3 at Harrow but I don’t think we get any familiarisation with it until weeks 10/11.

You’re start date is soon isn’t it? I’m intending to do a decent sized post summarising the first half of training but getting the time to do so is proving difficult!

Essex used to have 13.5 as the main ladder on all first pumps, 10.5 on second pumps only but have just started a trial on 10 one pump stations where they will only carry a 10.5m ladder.  If it is a success then I believe the plan is to reverse the previous situation so only two pump stations would have 13.5m on one machine, every other machine would carry 10.5m.

All Lincolnshire pumps carry everything, so 13.5 and 9m.  

Humberside is a bit different.  All single pump RDS stations are WrT's and carry 10.5, 2 pumps stations will have a WrL (carry 13.5) and WrT. 

WrT is always first away (for majority of jobs) except for 2 stations where the WrL is wholetime crewed and will be sent and then RDS called in.

In my spare time I tend to live on stations involved in one thing or another.  I'm in a uniformed volunteer role with Lincolnshire and do a lot of preservation work else where too.

Got to know what is on the truck and where its kept in case its needed, plus having an interest you get to know these things.  I think some of you may refer to like minded individuals as "anoraks" or other none forum friendly terms :)  Anyway that is for another topic.

The SFU vehicles in Humberside have a 4 section folding ladder they carry over a short extension, can be made into a platform if needed not that I think it gets much use.  

Anyone from Scotland or know if their new RRU's (Iveco vans) carry any ladders, there is nothing on top, not seen a pump bay picture to see if there is a short extension in there.

• Like 1