LFB’s New TLs

JonnyHolbs

• 1 year later...

I seem to remember that in about 1972 one Brigade painted all its appliance and ladders in a day glo yellow as this showed up much better both in daylight and under street lighting. The Home Office ordered them to repaint them red.

Youre correct, go onto any of the 4 coventry stations and you’ll see remnants of the old Coventry City Fire Brigade, from photos to model die cast toys. Coincidentally at the same time in Birmingham city fire brigade, the appliances were painted day glo orange for a time

• 7 months later...

12307BAB-2B94-4C52-8CD4-41CC2419CC18.thumb.jpeg.babadc6e84051ee6a51ebe83a6e271ee.jpeg

Judging from social media, the 64m has already proved invaluable at a high rise in Whitechapel. Is there a certain way the new 64 is mobilised. Cant imagine it was a quick run from OKR

OKR is but a couple of miles away as the crow flies from this incident. But they were on training at the time of call. Dagenham, some 12 or so miles away was mobilised. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Rory-495 said:

Last I heard it was to be utilised as a normal TL or can be specifically requested if its height is needed

This with the addition of an aerial support pump manually added to support.

3 hours ago, Luminoki said:

Cant imagine it was a quick run from OKR

If OKR’s was available it would have to have gone west past Tower Bridge to take London Bridge due to the 16 Tonne weight limit at Tower. Not sure how heavy the 64m is, but the 32m ALP was about 26 tonne by comparison.

44 minutes ago, Aspire said:

This with the addition of an aerial support pump manually added to support.

If OKR’s was available it would have to have gone west past Tower Bridge to take London Bridge due to the 16 Tonne weight limit at Tower. Not sure how heavy the 64m is, but the 32m ALP was about 26 tonne by comparison.

It’s a smidge over 30 ton. ALP325s were 23 ton. There will be many roads/bridges they won’t be able to go over/under, like double decker buses and larger goods vehicles. One has already hit a bridge (not by an LFB driver) , so they’ll need to be careful! 

7 hours ago, LFB92 said:

There was quite a long delay getting it going today

I used to work for a heavy crane company (part time) who had hugely heavy bits of kits. Even the smaller self erecting mobile cranes took some time from arrival to being ready to lift, despite the project being minutely planed during the weeks ahead.

The idea that this beast can get to work as quickly as 30m TLs (especially those older ones with wind down jacks!) is perhaps fanciful.

So how long does it take to get this new TL to rig from time of arrival tobeing ready? 

I don’t think it’s much more time than the 32 messy. We have had to do training on it but I can’t remember that detail today tbh 🤯😂 the thing is, this fire, as is the norm, was being extinguished internally.  The TL was only required to do a bit of external work, so it wasn’t required in a hurry. It gets a lot of attention but really it just played a small part at this one. 

38 minutes ago, Messyshaw said:

I used to work for a heavy crane company (part time) who had hugely heavy bits of kits. Even the smaller self erecting mobile cranes took some time from arrival to being ready to lift, despite the project being minutely planed during the weeks ahead.

The idea that this beast can get to work as quickly as 30m TLs (especially those older ones with wind down jacks!) is perhaps fanciful.

So how long does it take to get this new TL to rig from time of arrival tobeing ready? 

Messy if the crew are on their mettle, from PTO engagement to 64m at full elevation, you’re looking at about 2 1/2 - 3 mins. Add to that if water is required, buts it’s pretty swift for its size. 

dot 

@Dot, is that including a risk assessment? Even adding a bit of time for the RA, I have to say, that is pretty phenomenal 

I always have the greatest respect for aerial operators and especially since I worked for this crane hire company. The amount of preparation that goes into a commercial lifting operation is incredible. The risk assessment (H&S), a method statement (How the work would be carried out), a lifting plan (who does what), briefing packs (for staff communication) and even a movement order and transport plan (to plan the route & parking).

I worked at the Paddington train crash for the LFB (on relief) the on my days off for the crane company. This disaster highlighted the different methods commercial crane operators use compared to the fire service.  No preplanning was possible when lifting the damaged crane carriages. It took hours between lifts to plan the next. For some lifts, the job was stopped several times to re assess and redraw the method statements. It was painfully slow..... and righty so

Compare that with a TL operator who arrives at a job at 3am. S/he has never been to this address before, its pitch black, the road is flooded with firefighting water and the operator is required to get the TL working ASAP. No lovely pre-planning. No method statement or even a chance to brief everyone on the fireground on what will be happening and when.  

Its all down to the TL operator, their competence and of course, their training.  It seems to work though as I have never heard of an arial appliance turning over (except West Mids HP at an open day)👏

Nice words, sorry I’m in between lectures, but the time I quoted was simply the times for the appliance. Will reply more later!

Dot

58 minutes ago, Messyshaw said:

Its all down to the TL operator, their competence and of course, their training.  It seems to work though as I have never heard of an arial appliance turning over (except West Mids HP at an open day)👏

Funnily enough my dad was on that HP doing his conversion the week before it tipped over. When he told them he hated heights and wasn't keen on HPs he was told "Paddy, these things are as safe as houses. They'll never tip over!"

Depends whether you define The Freemasons as a charity. And whether having your logo put on the side of them makes them a donation or an expensive advertisement.