LFB New PPE

BurtMacklin

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've tried on the gloves and tunic as part of West Sussex RDS (who have also jumped on this bandwagon). the tunic is really comfy and The fire gloves fit perfectly! The RTC/tactical gloves feel pretty cheap but that's only from a brief fit. 

Only downside I could see from that is the "FIRE" doesnt stand out like it used to. Maybe it' the lighter tunic but the lettering seems to get lost in the tweed style pattern...? 

Has the word FIRE got to stand out?  I'm pretty sure stepping out of a fire engine whilst wearing a bright yellow helmet would mean Joe Public wont get confused as to who you are.

• Haha 3

No not really xD and from that perspective I'm sure it's pretty obvious. But if we are going to wear it we may as well get a say if it looks appealing! I just think the lettering getting all mixed up doesn't look as nice as the one we have currently  

• 1 month later...
On 24/07/2017 at 19:56, BurtMacklin said:

ah well can't really argue with the colour choice if that's the reason

The Gold is the natural colour of the fabric. Once it’s dyed blue, black etc it’s Fire Protective rating is reduced.

• 7 months later...

@Lumie another thread i just commented on about this one. The "tan" is actually gold but faded with washes from other people's comments. Looking forward to getting fitted for it next Friday. 

I quite like it tbh.  The helmet is much better than the outgoing version, what with the ‘built in’ torch and it’s quick adjustment dial.  No more pinching things together or lengthening straps to compensate for wearing BA etc, just a quick turn of the dial.  Much better imo.

I'm also glad we’ve now got ‘non fire’ gloves (for rta’s Etc).  No more sausage fingers when handling more intricate tasks that involve tools etc.

We got ours all ready this morning to go on the run at 20:00 tonight.  It’s a bit stiff and starchy at the moment but it’ll wear in.

• Like 1

West Mids and Derby are on the black and red gear. Admittedly I do like the look of it a bit more but the biggest issue of heard about it is knowing when it's dirty as it doesn't stand out as much as on the tan kit.

Also those new helmets are comfy as anything, highly recommend those over the gallets

I do like it as well. I know some people prefer the look of the darker PPE, myself included. But having now got used to the lighter gold stuff, it does make you much more aware of dirty gear and encourages you to change it more often. Is the contract the same as last time where there is no personal issue gear and spares kept in a PPE locker?

That’s one thing I hated about LFB PPE. It’s such a ball ache to have to pester officers to do the online forms then waste time peeling and placing stickers on bags, I think it puts a lot of people off changing their gear when they should do. Our PPE contract is also with Bristol but we have two personal issue sets. When one gets dirty we simply chuck it in the laundry and it comes straight back, no fuss and I’ve never had dirty gear where I am now. I know the process in LFB is hardly complicated but like I said, it just puts some people off changing gear when it’s ‘not that dirty’ especially at unsociable hours. 

Very comfortable to wear. Gloves are comfortable but susceptible to wear and tear fairly quick but overall really happy with it. 

I’ll also add the helmet is much better too, one size fits all with a helmet torch attachment. 

Issued with a pair of RTC gloves aswell. 

The PPE breaks in pretty quickly too

It was about 27 seconds after taking it out of the box! 

Edited by Carl
Quote removed as its a direct quote from the post above. See FAQ
  • Haha 1

Had our first shout in the new PPE last night.  

Verdict: it’s a yes from me.

Its just more comfortable than the outgoing gear (and the pinkish one before that) and the new helmets are superb, easy to adjust and the torch is long overdue.

Some will agree and some won’t.

• Like 2

It'll be fine once it wears in, at the moment it's like wearing cardboard and the boots are very tight, but that'll change. The helmet is very comfortable and , as others have noted, easy to adjust. The torch is very good as well. Shame we went for a clear visor, I hope it reflects heat as well as the Gallet did.

My one concern is that it's very warm. I was sweating like Gary Glitter in toys are us at a simple flooding the other night, lord knows what it'll be like at a proper working job on an August day.

• Kudos 1

Agreed ^^

It was quite a chilly night when I wore it for the first time on a shout and even though it wasn’t a working job as such I was roasting up.

Roll on summer 2019?

• Like 2