I Hit The Button, Retirement Imminent!

Happy retirement! Start next month with LFB, so at opposite ends of our careers here! 

All stories from your days will be gratefully received as I’m sure you have a few!

What are your plans for retirement?

Thanks!

I'll see you at Harrow, I'm a WM on the reds there. As you say, opposite ends of the spectrum.

My plans? I was wondering if there was a market for disappointing, middle aged balding gigolos?

First @Steve, now @Firestorm and only this week good old Gunny, who used to browse here retired. 

Congratulations Mark. Well deserved. Time is ticking away at an alarming rate and I agree on what you say, make everyday count. It feels like only yesterday when I joined and in 5 years time I will be offering a forum and a site to someone ?

Enjoy your retirement and you have no excuse for not attending our London Trips now :)

• Like 1

Congratulations for making that tough decision and clicking that mouse. I was 100% sure I was retiring, but it's quite a moment when you make that plunge.

A old bugger who was my first LFF said to me at my retirement do that "you will blink and 10 years will have passed". He was right as I am ten years out next February

You seem to infer you won't be moderating or visiting the site as much. Why on earth not? All the years you have been giving me stick about being an old un,  I was looking forward to repaying you ?

• Like 1

All the best mate. You started your fire service journey before I was even born! I only hope I am lucky enough to experience such a journey as you have.

Ps the 4th Feb was also my start date! But quite a few years later...

• Like 1

Mark

Enjoy a long and happy retirement, you have earned it.  And whatever plans you have or new challenges and opportunities that come along, I am sure you will make a success of them.  Hopefully we will see you at a future mods get together.

Mark

Another one bites the dust. The Fire Service will be a poorer place without the skills, experience and common sense that you and others, like Steve, have contributed over the years. It is a shame to see so many hang up their helmets recently.

Although we have never met, face to face, I have enjoyed our many discussions over the years. It was always clear how professional and passionate you were and that can be seen in your contribution to the next generation through this site.

The end of one chapter, the beginning of another. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck...however, I think your choice of future career may have some (not so) stiff competition.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Firestorm said:

My plans? I was wondering if there was a market for disappointing, middle aged balding gigolos?

You can afford better company in your retirement than middle aged balding gigolos mate ?

In all seriousness though congrats on seeing off an excellent career. Much like Steve ive always thoroughly enjoyed your tales. If my own career plans hadn't taken a lurch westward I would have loved to have had a chat with you at Harrow but c'est la vie!

Do seriously hope you'll stick around for a spot of lamp swinging on here??

• Like 1

Will everybody stop retiring! It’s getting boring now ?

congrats mark on what I’m sure is a career that could no longer be matched regarding experience.  Good luck with your next chapter and hopefully we can have another beer sometime soon ? 

• Like 1

Mark, I hope you have a very long and very happy retirement.....it’s well earnt.

I hope you decide to stick around here, I’ll miss your many one liner replies to certain posts?

• Like 1

Weird, I thought with your level of sarcasm and general old-fartery you were already retired ?

Congratulations and I'll give kudos where it's due. You won't be missed though....because you're not going anywhere. I think you secretly enjoy the role as the forum 'enforcer' ?

• Like 1

All the best for whatever you do next Mark. It was a pleasure having you as part of the moderating team and meeting you on several occasions.:) On that front, thing you owe us a few packets of crisps.?

As I said to Steve, @Messyshaw will keep you right on how retired members should behave on here. Also on that front hard to believe that you have retired 10 years Messy, I think you were the first member of note to retire.

I wonder @Carl with the number of retirements we have now, do we need a Retirement thread similar to the Success Stories?

• Like 1

Success Stories might be a good one as they have successfully reached retirement ;)

On a serious note, I am hoping this section "Smokey Stories and the Good Old Days" reaches 4 figures now ;)

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Noddy said:

Will everybody stop retiring! It’s getting boring now

S’ok Noddy, us new breed wont be allowed to retire ?

Good luck with whatever endeavours to choose to take seriously Mark ?

9 hours ago, Luminoki said:

S’ok Noddy, us new breed wont be allowed to retire

We’re screwed mate. I reckon by the time we’re nearly there, there will be some fire version of robocop where they harvest what’s left of our weathered bodies to make the new wave of robot firefighters. Probably use our pensions to fund the project just to top it off.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who've replied. I'll stick around just to keep you in check. "Forum enforcer", as if! ?

....you want to see what I did when invited onto another forum, eh Mark?! ?

I had forgotten about Hari, your and my mate from north of the border.  I wonder if he has got over that nasty chip on his shoulder yet?   The memory of some of your put downs has brought a smile to my face though.

• Like 1
On 21/09/2018 at 19:44, TandA said:

I had forgotten about Hari, your and my mate from north of the border.  I wonder if he has got over that nasty chip on his shoulder yet?   The memory of some of your put downs has brought a smile to my face though.

You asked for help, I willingly obliged!?

• Haha 1
On 27/09/2018 at 20:28, Br9mp81 said:

Well, Firestorm I started off like you at swidders on 31/12/81, 55 in 5 weeks i'm 55. which being civil service means I have 12 years to go!

It's a housing estate now mate.

On 29/09/2018 at 13:09, WayneHealey said:

Congratulations Mark, all the best and good luck for your future!  Go and enjoy your life now ??

Thanks Wayne.

• Like 1