Lightweight PPE

Cardiff_Fire

Percy, are we actually legally subjected to the same requirements as say highways agency and other road workers when it comes to the level of reflection? If so, then I'd argue why we also don't satisfy all PPE legislative requirements when it comes to other hazards such as radiation, electricity, chemicals etc. And I can't remember the last time I saw a copper or paramedic with reflective stripes on their trousers last time I was at a motorway RTC? o.O

I do find the whole issue of hi viz and firefighter's PPE a bit of a mess and out of step with industry best practice

Forget RTCs for a minute and think of the 'fireground'. Perhaps the nearest equivalent environment in terms of risk would be a building site, a demolition site, a civil engineering site, factory or similar processing plant, nuclear/chemical or petroleum COMAH type area or similar industrial site.

In the vast majority of these areas work processes would be planned, subject to pre-determined risk assessments, carried out to method statements etc etc - in other words, everyone should know their role and where everyone else is during the process. Most tasks will be carried out in good visibility and in an work area subject to H&S inspections. Yet 99.9% of workers and visitors in these areas will don hi viz

The fire service cannot and never have worked in a H&S controlled environment quite like that. The fireground can be a completely new space which is unknown by those working there. It can be dark or of course, subject to smoke. Although DRA SOPs and PPE provide a degree of protection, there are numerous occasions where events can be unplanned, and the coordination between crews can be difficult - especially during the early stages of a job. Then add hazardous materials, working at height and confined spaces - plus irrespirable atmospheres, explosive atmospheres - etc etc

To me it is inconceivable that hi viz is an optional extra, selected only for RTCs and railways jobs and not procedure for fires and all special services. At a job where there is no pre planned method statements, no predetermined plan and plenty of risk - why is the fire service not routinely supplying PPE with integral and compliant hi viz? Just dismounting an appliance or looking for a hydrant can be tricky when a motorist is distracted by blue lights and perhaps smoke. Time for a change????

Percy, good luck with this year mate, lol

You sure about class 3 ? I thought Hi viz is categorised as class 2 under the forthcoming changes.