Roof Ladders

When it comes to roof ladders in your service, do you :-

• Still carry them?
  • Have to wear fall arrest harness to use them?
  • What procedure do you have to follow to be able to use them?

We've still got them, I think they're super useful. No real sops in place for their use other than a DRA and your being comfortable scrambling about on it. 

Are GMC quite keen on fall arrest gear on ladders?

I can’t say I’ve ever used them in anger. GMC use a strap to secure the roof ladder to the ground ladder. We carry fall arrest harnesses but they’re not for use on ladders. 

LFB still have them and don’t use any such harnesses or straps. 

Personally I can think of very little tasks that would necessitate the risk of using a roof ladder over an aerial. Unless you need to actually get on to a pitched roof then surely it’s an aerial all day long?

There are literally tens of thousands of premises  where aerials could not be used to reach pitched roof. And i am not talking of tall buildings.

My house is a typical 2 storey 1930s metroland house. But the length of the front garden whould prevent an HP or TL reaching the roof  , whereas there is lots of room for a 9m or 135 and roof ladder.

• Kudos 1

Ive used them quite often, each time the HP wouldn't have the reach. @Jamiejet, the fall arrest harness should be used with the roof ladder. Not sure if you covered this on your transfer course, but its definitely in the SOP that the harness and large hooks must be used. 

Whoops! I’m sure we did cover it on the course. I remember going through the retaining strap but we didn’t actually use the roof ladder. Makes sense to use the harness if we are working off it, not doubting that just didn’t realise it was in the SOP. I’ve still got a lot to get used to!

• Kudos 1

We use a line pitched over the roof and secured either side using petzl id's. Figure 8 knots or alpine hitches (usually figure 8's) every metre or so for the harness hooks to secure to. Level 2 IC despatched as soon as it's announced. 

Interesting question and one I can answer. First of all, they wear harness's and bolt a ladder to your house in some fashion. When I had my dish installed, he refused to even touch the roof and insisted he would throw the cable over. Not a chance I told him. He pushed it through my Soffit and I ran it through my loft and out the other side. He wasn't even allowed in my loft.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2018 at 12:41, Messyshaw said:

There are literally tens of thousands of premises  where aerials could not be used to reach pitched roof. And i am not talking of tall buildings.

My house is a typical 2 storey 1930s metroland house. But the length of the front garden whould prevent an HP or TL reaching the roof  , whereas there is lots of room for a 9m or 135 and roof ladder.

Had just such a house the other day.  Considered calling for an aerial but the layout was such with large trees, power lines and telephone cables that there was no route in for an aerial appliance.  As it was there proved only just enough room to do a confined pitch of a 9m ladder to the front.