BA Positions

Hyperion

I was always taught at training school that BA1 was behind the OIC and BA2 behind the driver. This corroborates the drill positions of number 3 behind OIC and 4 behind the driver. However, after transferring brigades recently my station rides BA1 behind the driver. Do any other brigades do this and does it actually matter? As long the nominated BA1 undertakes their responsibilities at the incident, should it matter where they sit on the appliance?

As you say I think the drill book portrays it that way, with BA1 on the near side,  and three to his right, four then two. When we've had dfrmo down to audit us they occasionally want drilling by numbers and therefore in the choreographed positions. 

In my county brigade though it's never mattered a jot. We have the BA in the back in our pump now so no such luxury as dedicated seats.

In GMFRS we still have No 3 (BA1) behind the OIC and No 4 (BA2) behind the driver. We also try, where we can to ensure that BA1 is the more experienced as Team Leader. 

• Kudos 1

Here in South Wales FRS, No. 3 (BA1) is behind the OiC and No. 4 (BA2) behind the driver. Like Carl in GMFRS, we try to ensure that BA1 is the more experienced as Team Leader. 

• 2 months later...

It’s common sense for BA 1 to be behind the OIC? That’s historically been the LFf/Crew Commanders seat and can’t see why there would be a need to change it.

I've been on watches that get pretty irate about this. I let them get on with it. While they're expending energy on this meaningless trivia, they're not bothering me!:D

• Haha 3

I’ve never even thought about it, though obviously if you have a JO then he “should” have the coms set and would naturally be the team leader. In my experience unless you’re working with a complete moron/recruit who needs telling where to be and what to do the issue of BA leadership rarely comes up. 

• 2 months later...

It’s not something my watch has ever paid particular attention to.

The only thing that dictates your seat is whether you’re the duty person or not; any further considerations would just be too confusing! ?