UK Fire Service Resources
Sign in to follow this  
Messyshaw

RIBA's Ideas for Post Grenfell Inquiry

Messyshaw

RIBA submit their idea to the Hackett Inquiry (looking at reviewing building regs and guidance following Grenfell)

riba submits evidence

There's some great ideas and some proper nonsense in this list

E.G. Reinstating fire certificates for blocks of flats???? (er, they never had fire certs in the first place!)

SteelCity

I'm interested in reading this messy but the link isn't opening on my browser, is it still working? 

Messyshaw

I am out at the moment but will repost when I am sober 😉

TandA

Looks like the site is down.  Link worked fine yesterday.

Keith

Main headlines from the interim report  by Dame Hackitt today are "Building regulations are leaving room for shortcuts"

The interim recommendations include:

• An overhaul of the "Approved Documents" in building regulations
  • An accreditation system to ensure competence for people working on the design, construction, inspection and maintenance of complex buildings are suitably qualified
  • Better consultation with fire services when designing buildings
  • Building developers to ensure formal handover process for any new high-rise residential building before occupation
  • More done to make sure that fire safety information is passed to the person responsible for running the building once it has been constructed
  • Fire risk assessments are carried out at least annually
  • Desktop studies to approve changes to cladding should be used only where appropriate and with sufficient, relevant test evidence. The cladding on the Grenfell tower is thought to have contributed to the spread of the fire

Messyshaw

Although some of her recommendations cause me a few problems, I think this interim report is rather promising. 

Dame Hackitts biggest change (& main cause of Grenfell) will be the shake up of the huge and disparate building regs, including the layout of the approved documents and a change in the language as often the guidance section is called regulations.

She also talks about the dizzy and confusing array of standards- many of which are confusing and lead to mistakes. If only one recommndation of her report is acted upon, I hope it' this one.

Big changes are ahead as Dame Hackit drags the systems that control the construction and fire safety industry to the same level as the oil and gas industry. Indeed she compares the mess fire safety is in to the cock ups that led to Piper Alpha in 1988.

Interesting times ahead