BBC4 Fire Service Documentary

Blazes and Brigades is a documentary being shown on BBC4 next week that has interviews with yours truly and forum member Bazza. It looks at the History of the Fire Service in the last couple of hundred years.

This is not to be confused with the 'big budget' three part ITV documentary about LFB that is allegedy on its way this Spring. Again for some reason I find myself with a face for radio and a voice for newpapers featured in it??? O.o

Don't be letting this fame get to your head guv. I can picture it now.. strolling into the trendy restaurants of Shoreditch.. "what do you mean there's a three month waiting list? Do you know who I am?!"

That seems a bloody interesting watch, will be sure to stick it in the planner.

• Kudos 1

We're all copping it Steve. After my guest appearance in the Kings Cross documentary, and the potential LFB documentary, I'm available for weddings, bar mitzvahs, birthdays.......

• Kudos 1

That was one of the better - non embarrassing - fire service documentaries I have seen.

Steve: whilst I would like to give you some stick over your performance, I can't. Its absolutely true that you and I have had the privilege of seeing the change between the old & new UK fire service. I hadn't really seen the positive side of that until your starring role tonight

Which fella was Bazza? The museum curator or the guy with the memorabilia?

Those WW2 paintings by AFS personnel were amazing. I would like to see them

Well done to all involved

• Like 1

Like Messy said that was a really well put together and interesting programme, to the point my girlfriend who was fannying around in the other room kept chirping up "oh my God.. really?!" Until she eventually came in and watched it with me. 

Well done all!

Guv, will you sign my t-shirt? ;)

Why wasn't Messy on, he was there from the start.xD

Nice work Steve, you came across really well. With my station I may well be on Countryfile next week. -_-

• Kudos 1

My Mrs and Daughters have come to the conclusion that they sped the film up in editing to get the timings right.... My voice is too high pitched in the film and I look a bit 'twitchy' which is also symptomatic of an increase in frame speed.... according to my media-savvy Daughter.

A fantastic documentary, very interesting.  I didn't know the early history of Braidwood, the fire break to save the great hall was amazing, a strategy that is still used today.

Well done Steve and all involved.

• Kudos 1
7 hours ago, Steve said:

My Mrs and Daughters have come to the conclusion that they sped the film up in editing to get the timings right.... My voice is too high pitched in the film and I look a bit 'twitchy' which is also symptomatic of an increase in frame speed.... according to my media-savvy Daughter.

Did think you sounded a bit different, thought somebody was holding on to something and it wasn't your hand.xD

Good show though.

• Kudos 1

Great watch and very insight. If anyone missed this and is trying to find it on BBC iPlayer, the programme is called Timeshift - Series 17:2 - Blazes and Brigades

Just managed to catch up with this on iPlayer.  Very interesting, most definitely worth a watch for anyone with even a passing interest in history or the major figures and events that shaped our service.

Brilliant programme that I watched twice..once at home, and again with my parents.

Unfortunately on both of our TVs the screen cracked when Steve appeared ?

Good to see @Bazza1946 too the water trail comments made me chuckle as I remember that all too well.

• Like 1

Good Evening Guys & Gals

Great to be back on. Will try and get back in more often, got a bit out of practise. As to the TV program, we spent all afternoon driving round Rochdale. There was cameras stuck round the cab and at one point there was a camera operator crouching in the oic footwell. We were both 'miked up' and told to chat about the 'good old days' Now that is something I find quite easy to do normally, but to do it on 'command' is a bit difficult ! The other thing, it looks quite heavy going driving the Dennis, well it is heavy steering of course but three days before the filming I had an 'off' on my motor bike, coping with a 69 year old crash gearbox is hard enough but to do it with a broken left hand ? The following day I went to A & E and ended up in a plaster cast. The best traditions of the Service etc. Keep Calm & Carry On ! 

• Kudos 4