SIU's

HoldFast

We do but not entirely sure on circumstances when it happens. So far we have been designated as an SIU when a firefighter went for a medical so was only for part of the shift. Not sure if pumps are designated as SIU's for entire shifts or not.

Fair enough. I have had it recently for a full shift. We are told we will go to small fires etc and as third pump to house fires/RTCs etc, but the worry is that if you are already mobile at the time of call you could be first in attendance...

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2017 at 22:32, TrainHardFightEasy said:

I read today Surrey plan on getting 2 IRVs does anyone know anything more about them? Crew of 2?

Yes we are 'trialling' 2 Rosenbauer vehicles that we are terming "Immediate Response Vehicles" which seems strange nomenclature as if some calls we would wait a few minutes while we finished off a brew or Homes Under The Hammer.

They are a crew of two (for the trial at least) with both wearing Body Worn Cameras.

The vehicles themselves are tuned, raised clearance Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 V6's which go like the millennium falcon.

Equipment carried include (Becile will be the best to advise as this is his territory I sort the crewing out)...

Ultra High Pressure Supression System.

Conventional low pressure pump and deliveries.

Battey powered Weber extrication equipment.

Plus loads more.

For the purpose of the trial they will be on certain PDA's but left off others but I can see the scope widening as the trial continues.

Pretty much on the money there Percy, the uhps-xl system for external to internal only, ( ie not enter with) not mobilised to person's reported or fast roads.

On 15/08/2017 at 13:44, Percy said:

Yes we are 'trialling' 2 Rosenbauer vehicles that we are terming "Immediate Response Vehicles" which seems strange nomenclature as if some calls we would wait a few minutes while we finished off a brew or Homes Under The Hammer.

Haha there are so many examples of this in our beloved modern fire service. My favourite was naming the big decon trucks as 'Incident response vehicles' as if there are non-incident response vehicles, but as someone pointed out having 'mass decon' on the side probably isn't conducive to keeping the public calm and collected. In GMC we are just about to bring in 'Community Response Vehicles' which will be on the run alongside traditional fire engines that of course don't respond to the community 9_9

I'd like to be in charge of naming these vehicles but I don't think 'Tory Austerity Vehicle' would go down too well with the powers that be :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 Being trialled by operationally competant day work staff, and one by variable station (days) who were asked if they'd do it and they all agreed. This outside of normal response (I.e.in addition to.), fair to say mixed opinion.