MDTs and Messages

Is anyone using these new MDT's with the functions of sending messages from drop down lists on a screen, rather than verbally? I've got a mahooosive problem with this concept ? If I'm going to a working job I want to hear over radio what the informatives are, and the makes ups, all for very obvious reasons. 

Conversly when I'm at a job I design my messaging  to inform oncoming appliances of the stuff I know they need to know. 

Apparently we are binning this in favour of typing messages into a computer - not cool 

• Like 1

What a ridiculous idea. It's called an informative message for a reason! How can oncoming appliances and officers know what's happening if the only people that know what's going on is Control seeing it appear on their screens. 

• Like 1

Also, i think I've made a really good job of biffing up the title to this topic :)

Maybe Carl will fix it for me, 

Further evidence of why i shouldn't  be left on my own in charge of a computer or MDT

• Like 1

We have them, used often. The caveat being is that they're only used on one pump jobs. As soon as it goes to 2+ everything reverts back to radio.  

Interesting topic.

With air time on airwaves costing money (someone correct me if I am wrong) with the introduction to better and cheaper data services such as 4G and the way technology changes it cheaper and quicker to use these messages as they go straight into the system without any intervention.

You do raise a valid point about been unable to get a feel for the job en roue as you don't know anything, I doubt the messages will be visible on the MDT but technically it should be possible depending on how things are setup, maybe its worth bringing it up as a risk/near miss/what ever you call them these days?

Will be interesting to see if anything changes when the new ESN goes live too.

We have recently moved to them.  I can send common types of informatives by mdt but I can also revert to the radio if either the message isn't a common one or I need to get it sent faster than I can type, or I feel the need to broadcast it to all and sundry. 

It does mean the radio is quiet and initially it feel isolating on the way to jobs but I can see all messages relevant to my incident on the messages tab on the mdt and it is a bit of a case of looking at the info rather than listening for it.  That said, the whole crew can listen to radio messages, only the OiC can read the mdt so I do find myself having to relay info when I would rather be doing / thinking about other things on route to the job.

As @TandA we do data but can revert to voice if required. You can send 14× more Airwave data  than voice, for the same cost, so you can see drive when £ matter!! Don't bank on esn helping just yet...its already 18 months delayed!?

We only use our MDT for small stops, anything other, is always verbal messages. We have over 100 talk groups and each incident is allocated one. 

One thing I have learnt over the years whilst giving Airwave lectures is that 90% of people do not understand how the system works when it comes to the cost implications of Airwave. There are so many misinformed people out there.

What what I've seen/heard/read re Airwave there is alot more that could be done with it but it is not used to its full potential and there are alot out there who do not know about some of the features that could be used.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When we first had the MDT's installed we had the option of data make ups, stops and informatives, but we found it took so long to send a message, (if the drop down options were even relevant) so we ditched it and returned to voice transmissions.

I did like the "make up" button, but at least with a voice message you know control got the message. 

• 3 months later...

We have just got the mobilising mdts. We have to book out, in attendance and mobile returning with them AND a radio message. Everything else is purely radio. Don’t really see the point in backing it all up. It makes me quite busy on the way to a shout. Booking out with my name and crew on the mdt. Then over the radio. 

I do like that they can send us text messages via it and that the map has the incident already on it when we book out.