Favourite Old Appliance

Thought I would kick this section of with an easy one. I suspect there could be quite a view different opinions depending on your vintage, but I'm sure the Dennis RS/SS might feature.

One of ours coming to the end of 15 years service in 2007.

Dennis.jpg

Dennis SS or Rapier, both go like s**t off a stick, although if you can drive them right the SS will leave the Rapier standing!

Might not be as comfy or as luxury but don't break down like all the modern lorries these days!  Purpose built for a purpose job.

Ones I rode in, I loved all our Sabres, although I now prefer the comfort of our Scania. Hated the Mk1 Rapiers, although I will admit they could move! But they were outdated by the time we had one.

As for an old pump I never rode in.. I always thought the LFB Shelvokes were lovely looking appliances.

I started out in a Sabre XL when I was retained in Gloucestershire. Fond memories of that pump.

Ride a new Volvo now. E-pump is fab but no built in mechanicall fallback if it breaks. Also once your used to it, it dulls your skills on "real" pumping as it does it all for you. Interestingly enough it's only been with us 18 months and week getting a new WRL this year. 

Clwyd took delivery of four RS133s in 1979 and within six months all R types  had to be returned to Dennis because the crew cabs had been fabricated in untreated mild steel.  All those built before the recall had completely new cabs. The one at Wrexham had the Oic's floorpan fall away when he braced himself for a fast corner.

Once the crew cabs were sorted out they were a great machine with plenty of space.

Started with London's SS's in the 90's, always drove nice, onto Volvo's, good to drive once they'd got the retarder sorted, Mercs are Mercs, the latest Mk3's are a bit nippier due to 20 horses more and 50kg lighter, plus they've got the newer retarders on, more like on the Volvos, very fast once you get used to them..

Loved the SS 131 Dennis, as the junior driver at Poplar on the R/W in the early 90's I was often driving the pump.... "You can't drive the new Volvo in case you break it" I was more than happy though as the one we had as our Pump (DPL 758 for the 'racks) was like all SS131's a brick on wheels but went along beautifully... and the sound of that Perkins V8... :x

I just had to YouTube it to hear the sound again...... ahhhhhh.

Mark you god! I always liked these jobbies for s**t off a stick straight line speed

4971701846_675e7f445c.jpg

Ah, remembered the best bit about London Dennis' :  the solid iron front bumper, always had a tin of black hammerite to cover up any dings....

• Kudos 1
On 14/04/2017 at 11:32, Firestorm said:

This one. A beast. Cashy may well have seen it in his previous employ. 

RAF.jpg

Have to show my age here,firestorm, I would put a picture up of the dreadful mk8 but people would wet themselves laughing,two engines one to power the pump, no hose reel and a air blown foam system, the sad thing is I went to some (for the RAF) half decent jobs in one.

• Kudos 1

Not sure I am entitled to say what my favourite old appliance is as I am not in the service but I have always had a soft spot for the Dennis appliances from the 1990's and was fortunate enough to get to ride front seat passenger in one 2015 when we took my stepson to Bognor Fire Station Open Day.

Open Day.jpg

On 15/04/2017 at 08:32, Cashybai said:

Mark you god! I always liked these jobbies for s**t off a stick straight line speed

4971701846_675e7f445c.jpg

Ah, remembered the best bit about London Dennis' :  the solid iron front bumper, always had a tin of black hammerite to cover up any dings....

......straight line speed, just don't ever turn! I have a pic of me sat on the bonnet of one that may have you questioning my masculinity!

8 hours ago, Firestorm said:

I have a pic of me sat on the bonnet of one that may have you questioning my masculinity!

I'm saying nothing for fear of similar photos of me appearing....O.o

• 5 months later...