Co-Responding

I thought it would be interesting to get a picture of the Co-responding situation nationally. Here in London we are still only trialling within a few boroughs however I know for some services co responding has been the norm for a while now.

The whole FRS is trialling it in GMC and has been for over a year. Ive lost count of how many we have attended at my station alone. In fact we were at the top of the table at one point, its several hundred. 

• Kudos 1

Two WT and two RDS stations trialing it in Essex plus two further RDS stations who were already doing co-responding before the trials have continued to do so.  That makes six from a total of fifty one.

Surrey, most of  WT and RDS (26 stations) service doing it for over a year, some officers and rds lone responders, (not all watches on every station) end of year figure = 3040 attendances.

• Kudos 1

Weve been doing it in Kent since 2010 at selected on-call stations. It tapered off for a while and is now back with a vengeance with a number of WT stations now trialling it before being rolled out brigade-wide.

WT stations of course take the pump. At ours we have a dedicated car. Theres not always enough of us to crew the car and pump separately, so if a co-res call comes in the car goes first and the rest of us follow on behind in the pump. We do red1s and 2s. It can appear overkill to have a car and an appliance as well as an ambulance outside somes house especially when it turns out to nothing (spoiler: it very often is). However on the working arrests we've had it absolutely makes sense to have the bodies available. 

We don't co-respond in Shropshire at the moment but we have been told it could be on the cards. All crews currently in the process of having trauma skills updated through a 5 day WMAS accredited Immediate Emergency Care course (updated FPOS). 

• Kudos 1

South Wales had been trialling it for a Year (after several extensions) at 2 WT and a number of RDS stations.

Both WT stations decided not to continue with the trail after the year was up due to several unanswered concerns.  

Within 2 weeks the Brigade answered with a vengeance...all WT pumps now attend cardiac calls under the guise 'assist ambulance'.  Other than the 2 EMR trail stations, none of the others received any further training.  Now being escalated with the union.

As Liam said LFB at the moment are only trialling it but it's inevitable that it'll be brigade wide by the end of this year.  I'm keeping an open mind.

Co-responding out of 5 stations here in Herts. I'm at one of them and it hasn't had too much of an impact on our work. We have however been busy effecting entry on behalf of the ambulance trust, which we took on from the Police since the turn of the New year

I heard about these at the FSC from a West Mids WM. Unfortunatley its probably something that we will end up doing too. Im not sure which was the strangest, a "Brown One" or a "Nan Down"

For those who haven't already guessed, this is basically picking elderly people up off the floor when a cord is pulled summoning help. In fact, without destroying this thread, it probably deserves it own starting.

Humberside have a falls team running in the Hull area to deal with these calls, more details here.

They are also trained to CoRo/EFR levels and have a marked blue light vehicle.  

We are also responding to "nans down" but we are charging a couple of hundred pounds a pop!

I must admit Im happy to Co-ro. Just this morning we attended an RTC/ cardiac arrest and got a rosc out of what was on arrival a fatal!

ROSC- return of spontaneous circulation

• 6 months later...

Here in Hants most RDS stations Co-Ro. My station responded to around 1700 one year. It is optional and some love it, others hate it. I don't mind it but the more you do - the more that is expected!