Thirty Years

Today marks 30 years since I joined LFB. I have had a fantastic time and would do it all again without a second thought. I have met some fantastic people, many of whom have shaped my career and me as a person. Some of them are no longer with us but I remember them fondly and will always carry them with me.

I have had the best laughs, seen moments of bravery and tragedy and lived through some very dark days. It has all passed by in the blink of an eye and my advice for anyone with their time stil lin fromt of them is to enjoy every day, learn from everything... good and bad and cherish each day, do all of the things you want whether its a transfer, promotion, taking on new skills because before you know it your time will be drawing to a close and you'll be sitting there thinking "this is probably the last time I'll ever do this"

I joined a job that is much different from the Fire Service of today, but in some ways it's all going full circle again. I can say, without a doubt, that for me this is still the best job in the World.

• Kudos 6

Congratulations Steve. Nobody could say that you haven't embraced everything this job could offer!

Coincidentally, its 40 years and 2 days since I walked under that arch and into this unique world. I share your thoughts about the job and understand that slight level of anxiety in relation to approaching the buffers.

I hope you are going to celebrate the big 3-0 in some way

• Kudos 2

Many congratulations Steve...a significant milestone!

You have been a "distant" inspiration to me and I always read your posts with a keen eye to see what I can take from you for my own career, and in many ways I read with envy how much operational exposure you still enjoy.

I genuinely wish you continued success,  and when the time come for you to hang up your tunic I hope you are blessed with the good fortune of enjoying your retirement with your family and that well earned pension pot.

Ian

• Kudos 1

Congratulations Steve, I'll bet it's flown by for you. Hope you're right about it turning full circle (not in a morbid sense obviously).

• Kudos 1

* bangs fist rhythmically on table * BOOK BOOK BOOK BOOK BOOK BOOK BOOK

Congratulations on an epic career boss. I was two months old 30 years ago!

• Kudos 2

Steve I think I saw a picture on twitter shared by WYFRS, If so it hardly looks like you've aged a day!! Congratulations on a great career and an inspirational post for someone just starting out, I wasn't even born when you began O.o

• Kudos 1

Massive Congratulations Guv'nor...... a fantastic achievement, enjoy a beer tonight ??

Hopefully your not leaving us just yet?  Your experience and knowledge will be sorely missed.

• Kudos 1
3 hours ago, Dyson said:

Well done mate, are you retiring today?

No, I'm too young mate. Still another year and 13 days until I'm 50. O.o

2 hours ago, Lewis M said:

Steve I think I saw a picture on twitter shared by WYFRS, If so it hardly looks like you've aged a day!! Congratulations on a great career and an inspirational post for someone just starting out, I wasn't even born when you began O.o

OMG!!!! :o:o

6 minutes ago, Steve M said:

Massive Congratulations Guv'nor...... a fantastic achievement, enjoy a beer tonight ??

Hopefully your not leaving us just yet?  Your experience and knowledge will be sorely missed.

'fraid not... I'm on 24's. I had a few jars with some old colleagues on Tuesday. ;)

Congratulations on the milestone Steve, glad I had the pleasure of attending a couple of jobs with you before I left. All the best on your final year in LFB.

• Kudos 1

Congratulations mate on reaching the 30 years.  If only the experience of the likes of yourself have could be bottled up and passed on!!

• Kudos 1

Congratulations on reaching that milestone.  If I manage to gain even a very small fraction of the experiences and real firefighters acumen that you have then I will count myself extremely lucky. 

• Kudos 1
4 hours ago, Keith said:

Well done Steve. Think you should get the pipe and slippers out and take it  easy for your last year. xD

I've already started mate....  ;)