RTC On Route to Incident

Lewis M

Im not in the job yet unfortunately but always wonder what the reaction would be in situations like this, another scenario I wondered about is say you was en route to a serious incident and the pump is involved in a minor accident, caught a car wing mirror on a roundabout or the edge of a car round a corner etc, (something enough to cause slight damage to the other vehicle involved) what would be the course of action there?

Lewis, I have split your response from the original topic as this is a whole new topic and each FRS has their own process for this set out, rather than it being a decision based upon what the OiC thinks. By law you are required to stop if involved in an accident and failure to do so could result in prosecution, fact. 

Each FRS will have a process of what they should do and I am sure many will respond with what their individual process is.

No problem Carl, as you say if required to stop then thats that, so its a case of stop and assess the situation, and proceed from there, I would like to think if it ever was to happen, (talking minor bump here not full on RTC) be it Fire Service, Ambulance or Police and they were responding that the third party involved would be good enough to say crack on and could then get in touch with which ever service necessary to sort out anything if need be.

Basically we check everyone is OK and if they are we leave a preprinted slip with all the details on. All GMFRS pumps have CCTV so as OiC I have to put a request in for the footage to be taken regardless of blame and it really goes from there. 

My driver had a minor on route to a fire a few weeks ago, just outside of the station and the driver called back into station 20 mins later after driving off. I explained the process of the CCTV would be pulled and also pointed out she had been parked over a "Keep Clear" she for some reason disappeared from the station before I could get my pen out. Not seen her since and I was only trying to help :)

Thats the sort of thing I imagined would happen Carl, makes a lot of sense, and along as no one is hurt then, unfortunatly I would guess some times people kick up a fuss about it.

Sounds like thats what was going to happen in the situation you mentioned haha, seems like it was expertly dealt with there however xD

1 hour ago, BurtMacklin said:

chuck the recruit out with a bit of pen and paper and pick them up on the way back

44 minutes ago, Becile said:

Bit tricky when there isn't any !!

Or if you forget where you left them

I'm pretty sure that in minor collisions you can opt to not exchange details at the scene and instead report to police. I stand to be corrected of course!

It is an offence to fail to stop at an RTC, however, if there is a failure to stop, you have to report the RTC to the police within 24 hours.  From memory, telling a police officer who you happen to see is not sufficient, generally attendance at a station is required.  When I was in the police, we would be given an RTC report from fail to stops for investigation.  If they had reported the RTC within the 24 hours and there was no offences found, then you would generally pass the details onto to the other party involved and close the investigation as section 172 complied with.  

19 hours ago, Jamiejet said:

I believe it is acceptable though to not stop and report the accident to the police within 24 hours.

Failure to stop at an accident normally carries 6 penalty points on the driver's licence plus a fine. The law is the law. Just because you are in and appliance does not exempt the driver. It is acceptable if you have a second driver on the appliance for them to continue leaving the driver that had the accident at the seen

Stop. Exchange details. Get control to make up another pump. Request police to attend. Driver is stood down until the incident is investigated.

• 1 month later...

Happened to me many years ago but nobody knew we'd clipped a VW Beetle en route to a house fire, after all if you don't see it you certainly won't hear it unless it's a significant impact.  First thing we knew was when a PC approached my driver/pump op,  at the job, cautioned him and insisted on taking him to his car for questioning. At that moment in time I was trying to get 2 BA wearers out of 'harms way', and off a roof underneath which a window had just failed and ventilated an already demanding fire.  Needless to say, my exchange with said PC was abrupt (but professional), he agreed to let my driver continue with his duties but insisted on standing there with him right next to the pump bay. I pulled the H & S card out of my pocket and he moved a few steps further away, having already allowed too much time for this distraction I asked the PC if he seriously thought my driver was going to abscond?  I think a well polaced hose burst finally had the advantage.

Sounds like an idiotic jobsworth. Bet his sergeant would have cringed had one of his officers brought in a firefighter he'd dragged off the scene of a house fire for the sake of a clipped car en route to a genuine emergency ¬¬

Whatever happened to common sense? If the(non injury) biff is on the way to a shout- what sort of shout? Surely a risk based approach is required here?

A rubbish bin? grass? or even a regular AFA? = Stop and sort it unless you can drop someone off

If it's a fire, or RTC and especially if you are first to arrive -= Carry on and sort it later

Surely its all about being able to justify your actions?

I only had this once when driving  to a 6 pump fire. About 200m away, a PC tried to stop a car turning right. The PC signalled me to carry on (on the wrong side of the road). The car driver got confused and pulled in front of me. Quite a bit of damage to his car and my fibreglass crew cab (Dennis 108)

The PC told me to continue (as the job involving a Porsche workshop) could be clearly seen, and the driver was bought to me by the Met Police to exchange details at the pump bay. Far more sensible than Old Legend's example above!!

• Kudos 1

I had something similar early one morning when driving an old Dennis F125 HP (saying this because it was a BEAST) to what would now be a fire survival guidance call, but was then 'we've got the person on the line and she's trapped and she can't hear any sirens'. My old StnO was at best frugal with the use of them... Anyway as we turned into Chepstow Road from Westbourne Grove my back wheels and jack plate completely took out a set of traffic islands and one of those lamp posts they used to put there too, right in front of the copper who was waving us in to the road. No visible damage to the appliance i may add....

Anyway, rescue done, all sorted it was time to leave. I reversed back to the said junction and asked the PC what i should do about the damage I caused. He said 'Didn't see a f***** thing mate'.... I instantly liked that bloke. 

DotHP.jpg

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:36, Desserts said:

Failure to stop at an accident normally carries 6 penalty points on the driver's licence plus a fine. The law is the law. Just because you are in and appliance does not exempt the driver. It is acceptable if you have a second driver on the appliance for them to continue leaving the driver that had the accident at the seen

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:59, Alan said:

Stop. Exchange details. Get control to make up another pump. Request police to attend. Driver is stood down until the incident is investigated.

Over here unless the vehicles are not drivable, damage is over $3000 (cdn), there are injuries, or the police are bored, the drivers are told to attend the station and make a report.

I'm with Messy on this one...