Following on from the incident this week where Surrey's 42m Bronto was in use there are going to soon be taller!  Hertfordshire have 2 x 45m Bronto's on order.  Typically the height has only ever been 32m.

The only other 42m one that I am aware of is at Heathrow but has to stay on site for the A380 I am told but they have recently taken delivery of a new stair platform that reduces the need for the ALP I am told.

Bronto do have 45m and 60m in their XR range but they have another range that does 81m, 90m, 104m and 112m versions too, mainly seen overseas will we still these versions over this side of the water in the future?  That is one hell of a height to be at!

Our 42 used in London is rosenbauer it is an excellent bit of kit..it would be nice if we had some UK engineering but I'm afraid we don't.

Cheers, would be interesting to see one.

Think the only aerials in recent years that were UK engineered (although I may not be right) are the Simon HP's/ALP's?

20 hours ago, Becile said:

Well ...look what turned up the yard today...56 metres with rescue platform..rosenbauer.

Immense..and scary

ALP1.jpg

You wouldn't catch me up there! 

Wouldn't catch me up any of them, lost my head for heights a few years ago.  Did try and brave it at an open day last year in the ALP but the operator wasn't steady enough for me and that did it for me!!

Hoping to have a go on Surrey's ALP at the open day if its there. :D:D

I take it Surrey & BAA have the longest reach ALPs in the UK then? 

I understand it will be  at the services open day at shq  on Sat  July 1st (reigate )if anyone wants to see it .

1 minute ago, CaptainFlack said:

Hoping to have a go on Surrey's ALP at the open day if its there. :D:D

I take it Surrey & BAA have the longest reach ALPs in the UK then? 

That's correct.

Surrey and Heathrow currently have 42m ALP's, Hertfordshire have just taken delivery of 1 of 2 45m (other due next year), next to that Tyne & Wear have just received a 37m in the last few months.  

Everything else as far as I am aware is 32/34m or less.

On 6/19/2017 at 18:31, Becile said:

Well ...look what turned up the yard today...56 metres with rescue platform..rosenbauer.

Immense..and scary

Not wishing to split hairs Becile, but that is a TL. ;)

I wouldn't fancy having to climb it, especially under air. When we had TL's, did it a few times in training and once in anger at a mill fire were it was being used as an external staircase. They were only 30 m , that's about half of that beast.

With all these XL appliances, apart from driving them, a few other questions spring to mind,  what type of ground do you need for jacking and what wind speed can they operate in?

If its got a cage on the end, then surely its an ALP, Aerial Ladder Platform,isnt it? I was a Hydraulic Platform instructor and in GMC, we had TLs, which were just that, a ladder with a turntable. We also had ALPs which were a ladder with a cage and we had Hydraulic Platforms which just had a cage on the end of the booms. The ladder on the side of the booms was just as an emergency escape?

Putting on the boiler suit here;), think its more down to how they are constructed. Originally the two main types were, HP's and TL's. HP's were essentially two solid hinged booms with a cage on a small boom at the top, raised and lowered by hydraulics, TL's a set of ladders extended by wires and cables, though raised by hydraulic rams. Think there was always an option of a basket at the top. ALP's then combined both with a telescopic boom, an articulated boom and cage at top and a full extending ladder bolted to the side.

Don't think Dot has joined the new forum as yet, but he could settle the argument. Failing that we could go with what the manufacturer calls them. Design has evolved a bit and they now can have an articulated section at the top. The Magirus site shows them in more detail.

Biggest advantage a TL always had, was they could be got to work a lot quicker in less space, so is possibly why they seem to have made a big comeback.

We got rid of the ALPs in GMC a good while back and only have HPs now. The Alps were good for the tight streets as they had narrow jacking facility, something the HPs didn't have. I have heard a rumour that GMC has bought a TL again and a large one at that. However, I have nothing confirmed as yet.

I don't know to be honest, I'm sure if I had hung around after I said no to going up I would have got the technical stuff ! It has a rescue platform that traverses the outside of the sections (like a lift) that can hold at least 3 people you step out into/off the cage then onto the body of the vehicle when down. Presumably for rescue purposes without having to either climb down 50 odd metres or having to bring the platform down.

GMC had been looking at TL's following the Chief cancelling the stinger order as he was insistent that an aerial appliance had to have a platform/cage.

Rosenbauer using Metz ladders do have a cage available on their new TL's as seen here.  There are a few in the UK, Avon been the biggest user I think off the top of my head.

Ok so that Rosenbauer tl mentioned above with the metz ladders is the same as we bought as well ..its based at Guildford  ( we bought a 42 alp and a 32 tl on the same order) been in service about 9 months id suggest...the 42 alp also went to Bosley  mill job.