Ealing Fire Station's Sub Officer Leslie Arthur Tucker

Not so much the good old days, but more a tragic one.

The pole house doors in LFB stations (perhaps everywhere) are secured by a catch that needs to be operated before they open. I heard the tale of a FF who died at Ealing after falling down the pole, and it was apparently this incident that lead to the safety catches.

Frankly I thought this was fire service folk law, but it turns out I was wrong

Sub Officer Leslie Arthur Tucker died when he fell on his last shift before retiring in 1966 - after 37 years in the job.  He would have joined in 1929 so would have seen some action during his time. 

The LFB are unveiling a plaque in his memory and are looking for his surviving family to take part

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/LatestNewsReleases_ealingplaqueappeal.asp#.WRSk5hiZOi5

It actually made Sky News today Messy and it did grab my attention. Very sad story and very good they are doing something about it. I will enter the date into the forum calendar so it pops up every year as a reminder to us all. ;)

• Kudos 1

I just assumed they always had the catches for the doors. My station was built in the 30s and I'm convinced the pole houses haven't changed since then (along with most of the station). There's lots of pathe films of the station filmed in the 50s/60s, again showing the catches on the doors. Still, I'm glad to be informed now and I'll think of Sub O Tucker next time I descend. Very tragic indeed.

On 13/05/2017 at 13:19, Firestorm said:

I hope Mark Lanaway doesn't suffer the same fate on his last tour, he's a good lad.

Was his Dad in the job? - as its an unusual surname

There was a Fred Lanaway who always rode the Emergency Tender at Heston - and I mean always. Like an old boy in is local pub, Fred had 'his' own seat in the ET and was quite a character!

No idea Messy but Mark himself is an older hand. I think he joined in the early 80's left for a few years and came back, mid 90's thus his retirement now many years past his original date of joining.

I don't know either Messy, I'll ask him when I see him. Steve Just reminded me of Mark and his break in service, I'd forgotten about that.

• Kudos 1
13 hours ago, Firestorm said:

I don't know either Messy, I'll ask him when I see him. Steve Just reminded me of Mark and his break in service, I'd forgotten about that.

He couldn't handle the fast pace of life in the busy NW.

O.o

• Kudos 1