27 minutes ago, Bm96 said:

A 5 min attendance time doesn't mean much if it's got a crew of 3 arriving to wait for another 5 minutes for a standard pumping applianc

Hit the nail smack bang on the head there. And therin lies the reason why I LOATHE targets. 

If it ticks a box, gets the green light etc than that's all the powers that be care about. It's not enough to do just do the best you can, you have to prove it even if it means bending the rules and providing deluded statistics.

Interesting point there, the two stations here only crew theirs with 2, a pump was put in the station with one of the SFU's and in case of it hitting the fan both could pair up and take said truck out.  Pump has now gone but fewer and fewer had a HGV license now you don't need it for the SFU's.  A number of occasions that could of been used it wasn't, plus no kit was kept on the truck just the odd bit of hose.

Personally I don't want these to be around for long, I would be a lot happier with a compact pump that a van and pressure washer.

If we merged 2 brv's then that's reducing the fleet. We have replaced prl's with brv's not rid of any. 

I agree with what's been said folks I'm just telling it the way it is.  Brv's aren't expected to deal with jobs that require a prl and never were.  I understand that they occasionally do but the argument is, a brv is better than nothing as the number of prl's we had wasn't sustainable financially.

Like I say, I'd rather we had 65 prl's like we used to. 

Don't you just love all the different names and acronyms being used for all these various types of appliance. Whatever happened to the WrL.

Hampshire's mini fire engine in action - or should I say 'inaction'

Listen for the bystander "Where's the proper fire engine?"

This has been posted before, but seems like it's worth dragging out again just so we can all see what the future looks like

The L4T that went to that job is only designed for small fires and not that.  It came in as a bin fire and that was the PDA.  Could say some training needs to be given in control, that is all I will say.

I disagree Matt, there in lies the danger with sending smaller vehicles, the con ops can only dispatch to what's infront of them and has been reported.

had Hampshire only sent a traditional pumping appliance to that incident then it potentially could've been a different out come, they still would've waited and they still would've made up but what the could've done in the interim with a crew of five and high pressure water jets would have been significantly more than stand and watch burn I reckon 

• Kudos 1

Oh, the good old wheelie bin fire. Let me tell you of a wheelie bin fire I went to back in 2008. It resulted in 2 dead, 3 firefighters burned, one so badly that he has no hands and is now out of the job and wasn't even able to collect his own award. A night that still haunts me and all because of a wheelie bin. 

The job actually came through as a house fire so in this situation we got what control would normally order on a "Persons" 3 pumps.

• Kudos 1
7 hours ago, Matt said:

The L4T that went to that job is only designed for small fires and not that.  It came in as a bin fire and that was the PDA.  Could say some training needs to be given in control, that is all I will say.

I also think that's a little unfair on the ConOffs who can only act on what they have been told. This is simply what will happen from time to time as a result of policies to filter calls like this

Of course, I do not know the details of what was said and why a L4T was sent, but in my experience, ConOffs will always er on the side of caution if there's any doubt and send the bigger PDA.

I have also been to a number of grass, AFA, rubbish and car fires, that although not as tragic as Carl's dreadful example, were not 'as advertised' upon arrival. But UK Fire Service managers - under pressure to squeeze the £££££s - seem to accept that there will be the odd cock up like this

I am not sure that the FBU and public are as accepting

The whole control thing is another topic, no disrespect to control staff they do an amazing job but shall we say experience probably plays a large part in it all.

Back onto topic having "mini pump" are circumstances like this going to pop up more and more?  Lack of water and personnel to a well developed job, like said above if you have a "proper fire engine" you stand half a chance with a good jet and supply of water.

Some of these so called savings by implementing such vehicle costs more in the long run.  From some calculations I did around here based on a SFU been retained etc, turnout, attendances, fuel etc etc one rubbish fire cost more than it would of with a pump 100 yards away from it!

It can be a blessing in some cases. My two local stations actually had cover upgraded when the BRVs came in ( if im wrong please correct me )

Solihull went from one pump core and one pump lates to one pump and a BRV on the core shift

Billesley went from one pump core to having a lates BRV added to the station

Albeit some stations were actually actually downgraded from a pump to a BRV but that could be attributed to a drop in call volume as Noddy has said in another thread